Author Topic: When does leg color change?  (Read 5216 times)

Marcia Lincoln

When does leg color change?
« on: February 11, 2015, 03:21:46 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to breeding Ameraucanas. I have BBS and had my first hatch Jan. 27 this year. I went through the chicks to wing band this morning and noticed quite a few with yellow on their soles, some with incomplete slate shanks, some with all slate shanks. There was just a lot of variation. I didn't pay much attention to leg or sole color when they first hatched, figured they were going to change, but the new hatch this morning I just took out of the hatcher, seems like most have slate legs/pink soles already. What should I expect and how long should I wait before deciding a bird needs to be culled for yellow? I have not tested my breeding male to see if he carries yellow, does everybody do that?

Michelle Ogden

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Re: When does leg color change?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 09:56:19 AM »
I am also curious about this. Anyone??

jerryse

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 10:24:09 AM »
Leg color will change . No need to worry . When will it change ? Well I never keep track .

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 11:40:58 AM »
It varies depending on strain and variety, but give it at least six weeks.

Marcia Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 02:44:59 PM »
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on them. Mostly I am concerned about yellow soles. Some of the birds I got last year had yellow. I culled those, and am using an unrelated male. So if I see yellow in the shanks or soles, then the male has to be carrying it as well as one or more of the pullets, right? If that happens, I will have to scrap the whole project.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 03:18:24 PM »
Yellow soles at what age?   I would not cull for that until they were at least 3 - 4 months old, especially if they are running on grass or getting a lot of yellow corn. 

Marcia Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 04:18:11 PM »
I forget now how old they were, but at least that old. There were other issues with that line as well, which is why I decided to get a male from another line and cross them. Are you saying you can't tell if an Ameraucana is carrying yellow until they are 3-4 months old?

Marcia Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »
Forgot to add, no mine are not on grass. They get a commercial organic feed pellet/crumble that does have corn.

John

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 05:33:25 PM »
Here is more food for thought...
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1439.0
...and not everyone will agree on the answer to your 1st question.  I say it depends on the variety.

some with incomplete slate shanks
I think that will fill in, with blacks, as they mature.

Marcia Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 10:35:35 PM »
Thanks so much for the link. Very interesting reading.