Author Topic: Requiem for a really good cock after a prolific life  (Read 3120 times)

bantamhill

Requiem for a really good cock after a prolific life
« on: April 08, 2006, 01:28:44 PM »
The passing of a really good bird.

I am sure everyone here has a bird that is special in some way to them. Today I note the passing of an outstanding white bantam Ameraucana cock that was part of the first trio of “real” Ameraucana’s I had. He was purchased from Mike Gilbert as a mature bird. His blood runs not only in my white Ameraucana bantams, but in my blue and black as well. Mike may recall his age when he sold him to me, but I know I had him for 5 breeding seasons. He sired chicks this year. He was looking bad yesterday morning, but did not have a cold and was not thin. I deduced the end might be near, and found him this morning. His outstanding son will take his place as the lead cock in the bantam white Ameraucana flock at Bantam Hill.

He was such a good breeder and prolific cock that I wanted to note his passing out of respect for the work of the many breeders who contributed to him.

Michael

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 11:29:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Michael.    To know that your birds are appreciated by knowledgable breeders just makes it all worthwhile for me.    

Mike G.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 07:24:58 PM »

aww sorry to hear of the loss
Our origional birds all seemed to die off in their 5th year, but we have one hen now..just a pet, who is 6.    Angle, was the first \"Ameraucana\" we hatched from our own breeding..she is actually an easter egger..and is not used in the breeding program at all, she is white also.  We also have a brown/res Pitt Game han who will be 7 next week, and she is our oldest bird

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 06:54:15 PM »
Mike,

You can be proud though -- your rooster lived the equivalent of 100 human years. Considering that a chicken reaches sexual maturity at what -- six months (that would be about 12 years for us), I figure a year for them is like 20 for us.

It\'s sad to lose a member of the flock, especially when the flock are family pets; and I had several in the past month, from having to give up two beautiful roosters due to local regs; to pipped/died at hatch -- including having to put down an hour-old deformed baby myself.  I guess the only way to inure yourself to it is to raise and slaughter meat birds, but even then -- it\'s a little different when you know they\'re for that purpose and you raise them for that purpose.

Our rare breed egg layers/fancy birds, be they Ameraucana, Araucana, Maran, Welsummer -- whatever -- they tend to hold a special place in our hearts. Even the production strain practically indestructible RIR holds a special place in my heart. After all, they\'re giving me a delicious edible gift every morning in return for their very simple care.

I take each loss as yet another reminder of how fragile life is and how much more fragile life is for them as compared to us....