Author Topic: Welcome to the Ameraucana Breeders Club official Forum - Please Read!  (Read 11064 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
This is the official Ameraucana Breeders Club forum. We welcome all visitors, guests, passer-bys, and lingerers here. We'd love to have you stay, sit a spell, and chat with us about your birds, your set-up, or your history in Ameraucanas.

We like to think of this as the local country store. Some of us older folks remember the old country store, where everyone sat around after the farm work was done and talked about the weather, their new Farmall tractor, and how good (or bad, as the case may be) their crops looked that year.

So, come on in and visit with us. Join up and you get to read all the interesting stuff in the "Members Only" area, too.

Posts that are deemed inflammatory, finger-pointing, slamming, or derogatory towards another member will be deleted.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:16:23 PM by Susan Mouw »
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the Ameraucana Breeders Club official Forum - Please Read!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:33:55 PM »
We are new to Ameraucanas, but have really enjoyed meeting all of the people that we have met in this breed. My Mom and Aunt actually got bit by the Ameraucana bug last year. This year, we searched and found the breeders and birds that we wanted to work with.

I joined the association to help me learn more about the breed. I was excited to find the forum and have really enjoyed reading all of the posts in an attempt to learn from breeders who have more experience than we do. I have bred and shown cattle, goats, dogs, and rabbits in the past. It always seemed to be some kind of drama or power struggle in every club or association. When we started breeding and showing poultry, I made myself the promise that I was just going to enjoy breeding and showing and not get involved in the leadership or politics. When I read the first post on this thread, I thought "here we go again".

I appreciate Susan for being understanding and editing her original post. It seems to be more user friendly. I am thankful that I kept reading and did not unsubscribe from the forum.  I also appreciate all of the work that the leadership has done in the past and the people who are now coming into office. I have been there and done that. I know that leadership is a thankless job.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 08:42:44 PM »
Ok, I've edited the original post.

Much better. Thanks for editing...
Max Strawn

Peggy Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 05:50:11 PM »
 Frankly, if I had been a new person looking to join and read the lead "original" post I would have walked away right there. Been there, done that and am not going there again. I joined this club to enjoy the Ameraucanas, visit and learn from other breeders.  I love the breed.

I deeply appreciate Susan editing the lead in post. This edited version is very good.  It is much more welcoming. I have enjoyed the forum greatly and have learned a lot of good things from those that have posted.

I have met some great people in this club and appreciate the hard work that has been done...I've been in those shoes in different situations with other livestock.  I know what kind of commitment and  hard work it takes.  Anyway, I am not going anywhere.....I plan to be in this club a long time.  I'm having too much fun with the Ameraucanas.

Adetayo Fetuga

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Its good to be here

Adetayo Fetuga

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Good day

Rachelle Quesnel

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 10:45:40 PM »
Good evening everyone im Rachelle Quesnel  from Northbay  Ontario I notice we don't have much Ontario people here but looking to make some new friends that share the same interests I started my flock about 4 years ago and been improving my lines i posted some pictures on fb and  some young man reached out to be and told me about the club now here I am ! I started with a small coop now expanded  to something bigger  to improve my self blue /lavander line and motted  and splash  so excited for this spring ! I'm extremely curious on what the going price on hatching eggs and chicks ?

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 11:38:26 AM »
Rachelle, We are glad that you found us and joined the club. It is an exciting time in the ABC and especially  for you and others that raise Self Blue and Splash Ameraucana. The ABC was insrumental in getting the LF Self Blue variety recognized as a standard variety with the APA in January 2020. This was no small task as it involved almost 5 years of effort with qualifying shows. Self Blue can now be shown as a recognized variety and compete for Best of Breed and higher placements. The ABC is currently undertaking the task of getting the LF Splash recognized as a standard variety. We just had our first prequalifying meet for the Splash variety at our ABC National Show in Norman Oklahoma on November 7, 2020. The required numbers were met so step one was accomplished with more work to do down the road. I know a lot of ABC members rearanged their breeding pens for 2020 to hopefully get more Splash chicks. (myself included). Now I am waiting for those spring LF Splash chicks to hit the ground for more qualifying meets down the road.

On hatching eggs here in the lower 48, I have seen prices from $20-60 a doz plus freight for eggs from quality breeders. Shipping usually is around $20 here. Day old chick prices seem to be in the $10-15 each price range plus shipping. This is usually for lots of 25 chicks. Shipping costs vary depending on distance and type of shipping (example priority mail or express). Shipping prices normally start in the $50 price range and upward.

Have a happy spring hatch!
Gordon Gilliam

Rachelle Quesnel

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 10:49:34 PM »
What are your thoughts on these beautiful hens ? They are beautiful splash
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:53:21 PM by Rachelle Quesnel »

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 11:09:39 PM »
Rachelle, do you have pictures showing the entire bird? Is this a pullet or a hen?
Gordon Gilliam

Rachelle Quesnel

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 10:37:27 AM »
Shes a pullet 

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 05:09:28 PM »
That was my thought viewing the nice head shot you attached
Gordon Gilliam