Author Topic: Variety  (Read 2743 times)

Mindy and Tom Best

Variety
« on: March 04, 2015, 06:42:02 PM »
I have an interest in which varieties ( that are currently recognized) are the least available and in need of improvement? And are any of these critical?

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Re: Variety
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
Good question, Mindy! :)

I just recently did some research because I wanted to expand from my wheatens and blue wheatens. I can share what I learned, but there are others here with far more experience that can tell you more about what type of improvement each of these need.

Here is what I learned:

Brown Reds seem to be the most difficult to find.
Silver would probably be next
Buff might be next - I've heard that, even though this is a solid, it is difficult to get even coloring on the Buffs.

Blacks, Blues, Wheatens, and Blue Wheatens are widely available. Whites not quite as easily obtainable.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

DeWayne Edgin

Re: Variety
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »
I agree with Suan exept i think whites should be right above the buffs. I think the most improvement needed maybe the comb on the Silvers. It is real hard to find a Silver rooster with a good tripple comb. It also depends on what your birds look like to. What i mean is that you may buy say a wheaten from a breeder that doesn`t have good leg color. A different breeder may have birds with good leg color but maybe to dark colored on the hens. So if you get birds from both breeders and breed them together , you can fix traits and cull for the best ones to breed from.