Author Topic: Shipping  (Read 3542 times)

Mindy and Tom Best

Shipping
« on: March 21, 2015, 10:57:39 AM »
I understand shipping day olds and a single adult bird but can you successfully ship younger birds 1-4 months old? I have been asked that question and am wanting to know if it can be done and what it takes. Packaging, distance and form of transportation?

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 01:36:46 PM »
  Only day old or adults are legally accepted by the US postal service.  I know of many who didn't know the rules and have successfully sent them.  Our Gainesville, TX. PO goes by their book and will not accept any chicks other than babies.  The U.S. mail is the only carrier we have found to be able to ship poultry.
Paul Smith

Mindy and Tom Best

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 01:51:17 PM »
Hi Paul and thank you. So glad the southern USPS keeps an eye on you Texans! ;) Many many years ago I received a box of day olds via the mail and a few of the birds that were "extras" were bigger and did not survive the trip. I assumed they were a few days older. Not a pleasant experience.

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 09:55:38 PM »
I shipped 5 birds that were about 6 weeks old to California from PA about two years ago. I put apples and tomatoes in the box with them. They all arrived safe and sound. The lady even texted me pictures of them later that fall after she showed them.

Mindy and Tom Best

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 04:48:40 AM »
Thanks DeWayne!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:23:54 AM by Mindy Best »

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 07:50:09 AM »
Sure. My post office never asked me any questions though and i didn`t tell them anything other than that they chickens. Yours may be different though. I wasn`t trying to be sneaky, they just never ask me.