Author Topic: Feed Recipes  (Read 5840 times)

Sarah Meaders

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Feed Recipes
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:59:19 AM »
I have mixed my layer flock's feed ever since they graduated from starter, using locally sourced grains, when possible. They are very healthy, and lay as their breed is expected.

For show quality Ameraucanas, though, I am not certain if my feed recipe is the best. I do not use corn or soy due to gmo's and my concerns with soy based foods. While I do not spend the extra for certified organic, I try to get the best quality I can afford. Is there anyone who also mixes their own feed for their show birds? Is anyone willing to share their recipes or insight as to what differences I need to incorporate? Right now, my girls have just begun their full laying potential again after their winter break, so their feathers are looking a bit ragged, but I increased their protein with this batch. Other than that, I really don't know what else I would do for show birds.

Thank you in advance!
Proclaim Yahweh's greatness with me! Let us exhale His name together! Psalm 34:3

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Feed Recipes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:26:36 PM »
Sarah,   I have always used a commercial feed of some sort as a base and mainstay for the birds.  But I often sweeten the feed for the breeders and any special birds that I am keeping separated.  The basic feed hopefully keeps the nutrient level close to where it should be and the extras hopefully make it better.  That is unless you give them so much extra that you dilute the nutrients/protein in the "balanced ration".  There are many products that folks have talked about using on many posts in the past.  Sunflower seed, oats, cat food, various oils, fish/meat scrapes, and just about anything to give them extra protein will help with breeding.  Some breeders or exhibitors will keep them on a weekly supplement of vitamins, Red cell, calf manna or so many other things come to mind. (I did a search for feed and found 'too many posts to link' over the years.  It's not a scientific approach by any means, but at least it makes the breeder feel like they are helping somewhat.  And if you hand feed them, it helps train them to look for a treat when someone approaches their cage.  So I would take your basic feed recipe and add some of the things that you find in the posts, see what works best and let us know if you feel like you've found a magic formula.   
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 11:19:23 AM »
Like Don, I use a commercial ration as a base and add other ingredients (whole grains, BOSS, old hard boiled eggs, shells and all) to increase protein and nutrients. I also use the same ingredients to make a wet mash I soak in water overnight and feed every morning. Soaking helps to soften hard grains, aid in digestion and supposedly increases protein levels by up to 30%. Not too sure about that one, but all I know is since I've started soaking and fermenting, my birds have never looked or performed better. Best of luck finding what works for you.  :)
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Sarah Meaders

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 08:01:03 AM »
Thank you both! When you talk about the "same ingredients" to make your wet mash, are you referring to the grains and BOSS? And when you soak them overnight, are you soaking them in plain water, or adding ACV, whey, or some other probiotic? I have been making them cooked oatmeal or fresh ground cream of wheat with flax seeds, softened lentils, and some other nuggets mixed in when it was super cold out, but not regularly. I can easily start a routine of soaking their grains.
Proclaim Yahweh's greatness with me! Let us exhale His name together! Psalm 34:3

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:15:22 AM »
Sorry Sarah. I must have been having a moment the other morning. I only use wet ingredients in the mash, never mixed in with dry feed.

To make the wet mash I use a commercial ration for the base, which would either be 17% grower for the main flock, or 20% chick starter for chicks up to 8 weeks. For adults and youngsters, I add whole grains, mashed up boiled eggs, BOSS, and alfalfa pellets into a bucket. I fill with fresh water, stir well and let sit until morning. Just make sure to use a big enough bucket and leave some room at the top, because the mash will swell up as the pellets/grains soak up the water. The birds go absolutely nuts over this 'breakfast'. For chicks I just use starter and water, and basically do the same thing. Technically it's not fermenting, but it works for me. I do also ferment during the summer months, but found I have to be really careful not to overdo the time frame or my feed bin starts smelling like a still! LoL

I suggest you try soaking for a few birds, and see if you like the results.  :)

~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Sarah Meaders

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 05:51:28 AM »
Thanks! I took all the grains in their feed mix and put them in a big jar with fresh water to let them soak. I researched the difference in fermenting and just soaking, and apparently, if left a few days, since they are grains, they naturally ferment! :) I read I could add a touch of whey, yogurt or real buttermilk if i needed to speed up the fermentation, and take a scoop out each day to feed, replacing with a fresh scoop for perpetual fermented feed. So it seems you ARE technically fermenting! I hope they eat the flax and lentils better soaked. I know they do when they are cooked or mixed with a cooked mash. I am also going to be adding a new grain I discovered while researching fermenting that is high in protein, too. I will let you know how the parents (my layer flock) take to the breakfast, and how this perpetual feed works out!

How old do you think the chicks should be before I start introducing soaked whole grains?

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 02:31:17 PM »
You're totally right Sarah! The grains caused natural fermentation over time, and warmth helped to speed up the process. No wonder it smelled like I was brewing alcohol, because I was!  ;D whoops, lol

Lentils shouldn't be a problem. My birds love'em when I can get them. But I wouldn't introduce whole grains into the mix until the chicks are at least 12 weeks of age. That's the usual age I start around. Chick starter and water are good enough in the beginning, and you can always add vitamins and mineral supplements to their drinking water. Oh, and don't forget to provide grit when you do begin to gradually add whole grains.

Your chicks are gonna grow like lil' weeds, just wait and see!  :)