Author Topic: Brassiness-in lavenders, too?  (Read 5350 times)

Suz

Brassiness-in lavenders, too?
« on: June 18, 2005, 08:54:01 PM »
Here\'s a picture of one of my self-blue Belgian d\'Anvers.  It looks like some brassiness in the hackle, wing bows, and saddle feathers.  Can lavenders get genetic brassiness like whites or is it most likely from sun exposure?  The brassiness is only on the top layer of feathers.

I am planning on cross-breeding these to black and wheaten Ameraucanas to make lavender and lavender wheatens.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 10:51:00 PM »
Actually, I have never seen an aged cock in lavender that wasn\'t brassy.   I think it\'s possible to get a good clean line, but it could be a lot of trial and error.   Anyone else reading this that has bred lavender for a number of years - please correct me if I\'m off base.   Anyway, the brassiness issue is one reason why the color never interested me very much.    I think a properly laced blue is much more attractive, and that is a breeding project that I\'m working on in bantams - it appears so far there was some pretty good progress this year.   This is not to discourage anyone from working on lavender, just to explain why I have not joined in.

John

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 09:56:11 AM »
The photo looks just like the two I sold yesterday.  They were out in pens with full sun.  I had bought them earlier this year for the same lavender breeding project.  I know of four of us working on the project.  We need 5 for 5 years to get the variety recognized.  Anyone interested?
The brassiness reminds me of the same problem with whites getting yellowish in the same areas.
I had a LF blue male that looked washed out, with some orange ness, when he turned two.  How much was from the genes and how much was caused by the sun, I don\'t know.
I think there is a poor feather quality gene related to the lavender gene, but I like the color and the fact that it breeds true whereas blue doesn\'t.  

Suz

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 10:11:51 AM »
Hi John,

RE: \"We need 5 for 5 years to get the variety recognized.\"
Are there any records that I need to be keeping?

Susie

faith valley

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 06:06:55 AM »
I too am interested in the answer to this question.  We are currently working on the pied variety of call ducks;  we have only 4 people here in the states working on it right now.  Does the ABA have an outline somewhere on what kind of documentation that they require?

John

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 08:10:49 AM »
According to page 4 in the APA Standard the info, to get a variety recognized, can be requested from their Secretary.
I don\'t remember seeing it in print, but think I\'ve heard it takes 5 breeders, breeding them for 5 years and showing 50 birds at a qualifying meet.  I don\'t think records are required.
Does someone have the facts?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 09:48:39 AM »
I have e-mailed the A.P.A. and the A.B.A. to get the most current requirements for recognition of a new variety.   I\'ll post the information when it is received.  

Mike Gilbert

faith valley

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 06:17:13 PM »
Here is a comment from Sam Bush of the APA. He posted this statement on ~The Exhibition Waterfowl forum of the Poultry Connection~

All of the requirements are outlined in the APA bylaws - check in any yearbook.

In a nutshell the current requirements are -

Proposal to APA for admission along with $50 application fee per variety.

Provide affidavits from 5 breeders who certify that they have bred the variety for 5 years and it breeds at least 50% true

Provide \"show certificates\" that document the variety has been shown at

APA sanctioned shows over past two years (with possible follow-up to APA judges about the quality of the birds shown)

If all things are in order, the APA Standard Committee chooses a site for the qualifying meet and the judge to place the birds. Have to be 50 birds with at least some in each of four classes (in this case old drake, young drake, old duck, young duck) shown by 5 exhibitors.

Judge doing the qualifying meet makes comments to Standard Committee, and committee determines whether to propose admission to the Executive Board.

Given some of our experiences in the past (where ARE all those cuckoo Dorkings?) you might find that we make the qualifying meet judging a bit more rigorous, as in emphasizing to the qualifying meet judge that the caliber of the birds needs to be sufficient to warrant admission. We\'ll probably check the affidavits a bit more thoroughly as well. No more 5 breeders from the same family and that type of thing...

Suz

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 10:38:14 AM »
Thanks!