Author Topic: Building the Best Breeding Pens?  (Read 16736 times)

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Building the Best Breeding Pens?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 11:12:39 AM »
Susan,  I really like the coops that you and Barry have built.  What size are they and what size out door coop do you allow each group of how many LF?   Do you have to make provisions for extra ventilation during those steamy SC summers?  I have one where I think I need to have a "screen door" for the summer months.   I like what I think is a wooden slide bolt on the full doors.  You and Barry must be quite handy. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »
The coops are 42" square and the runs are 8' x 8'. I use them for a trio or quad and it has worked nicely.

Barry is the handyman, not me!  gotta give credit where it is due. lol

I was concerned about ventilation in the coops, but he's got it where air flows from the pop door, up and out over the top of the doors in the back (double doors).  They are amazing cool - even now with 80+ degree heat.  Of course, the runs are all roofed now, too, so that helps considerably.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »
Here are some of mine. I need to get pictures of my outside coops yet. These are 4` by 4` pens that use to breed trios. I have a total of 14 breeding pens in these pics also.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:09:18 PM by DeWayne Edgin »

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 10:49:26 PM »
The coops are 42" square and the runs are 8' x 8'. I use them for a trio or quad and it has worked nicely.

Barry is the handyman, not me!  gotta give credit where it is due. lol

I was concerned about ventilation in the coops, but he's got it where air flows from the pop door, up and out over the top of the doors in the back (double doors).  They are amazing cool - even now with 80+ degree heat.  Of course, the runs are all roofed now, too, so that helps considerably.

Pretty snazzy Susan. Do you ship? I'm only 1200 miles away.
Gordon Gilliam

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 12:24:34 PM »
Nice breeding condos DeWayne.  I like those quite a bit and they look they would work well for a trio.  John Marshall has a building set up similar to those.  I could use a dozen of those.   What size pen do you use for young bird grow outs?   The exterior pics would be great too when you have time. 

Gordon, I will be glad to deliver the coops from Susan to you.  Just mileage, food and hotels.  Should be cheap enough don't you think.   On second thought, it might be cheaper to have Susan rent Barry out for coop building. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »
He says he will build these and sell some...but I say, not until all the work here is done. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 03:31:18 PM »
Gordon, I will be glad to deliver the coops from Susan to you.  Just mileage, food and hotels.  Should be cheap enough don't you think.   On second thought, it might be cheaper to have Susan rent Barry out for coop building. 

Thanks for the offer Don. Still pondering, but from Susan's last post, she has the final word!
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 04:32:23 PM »

Thanks for the offer Don. Still pondering, but from Susan's last post, she has the final word!

Only in some things...like anything to do with my chickens...

Some things, he gets final say, as long as I agree.  lol
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 11:15:02 PM »

[/quote]

Only in some things...like anything to do with my chickens...

Some things, he gets final say, as long as I agree.  lol
[/quote]

Thanks Susan for my chuckle of the day! Today has been a long hard day and I needed one!
Gordon Gilliam