Author Topic: Lavender Cuckoo in Gallery  (Read 5205 times)

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
Lavender Cuckoo in Gallery
« on: July 11, 2015, 03:15:19 PM »
I was looking at the AOV gallery and I noticed the Lavender cuckoo pictures. I noticed the wrong leg color on all of them and even a single comb on one of them. Is this what we want to promote on here as a good representation of a project color? I think a project color should have strong AM traits. Ameraucana and Easter egger differences are hard enough for some people to understand. I just think there are other projects out there that can be used. I only know of one person working on this project.

DeWayne Edgin

Re: Lavender Cuckoo in Gallery
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 03:37:30 PM »
People are having a hard time telling the difference between easter eggers and true Ameraucanas. These pictures may confuse new comers even more than they already are. Most all Ameraucanas should have slate legs. Blacks and blues can have black legs or slate legs which confuses people also. Brown Reds and Lavenders if you count them, have black slate legs. No Ameraucana should have any other color. Maybe we should wait till these Chuckoos have more Ameraucana traits before we use pictures of them. Just something to think about since alot of people study the picture gallery to compare colors on their birds.  :)

Courtney Galle

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 05:35:29 PM »
I have lavenders from Paul Smith and my husband got some amazing pictures. I'm not sure about perfect conformation but they fit colors (leg, eye, comb etc) well and I would be willing to share them. See my profile picture.

Why is it called cuckoo? It's that the barring? Sorry I'm very new and very very slowly learning.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 06:46:35 PM »
I saw a beautiful mottled hen at Rose's once, a long time ago.  The pics in the gallery don't look anything like what I would think a mottled is intended to look like based on what I saw.  I realize they are works in progress, but I tend to agree with Cesar on this.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 03:30:09 AM »
I have lavenders from Paul Smith and my husband got some amazing pictures. I'm not sure about perfect conformation but they fit colors (leg, eye, comb etc) well and I would be willing to share them. See my profile picture.

Why is it called cuckoo? It's that the barring? Sorry I'm very new and very very slowly learning.

Pure lavenders have been establised for a while. And cuckoo is similar to barring yes. If you look at the pictures you can see the barring/cuckoo

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 05:33:25 PM »
These are very valid concerns and points. I'll be replacing the cuckoo lavenders with a more established project color this week.

Thanks for the feedback, folks!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com