Author Topic: North Carolina taking it to the next level in the fight against AI?  (Read 4528 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
All poultry owners, excluding those already in the NPIP program, must register with the state!

thoughts, comments, anyone?

http://caldwelljournal.com/n-c-continues-to-prepare-for-possible-avian-influenza-outbreak/
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Re: North Carolina taking it to the next level in the fight against AI?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:30:07 PM »
This caught my eye:

“In planning our response for highly pathogenic avian influenza, one problem we’ve come across is that we can’t protect birds that we don’t know exist,” Meckes said. “We need to know where poultry are located so we can properly protect commercial and backyard flocks.”

I think what they meant to say is, "In planning our response for HPAI, one problem we've come across is that we can't cull birds we don't know exist.  We need to know where poultry are located so we can properly dispose of positive commercial flocks and all those backyard flocks that surround them."

^That's^ the gameplan.

Glad I don't live there. 
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 12:10:04 PM »
To take it to this level is insane.  There has not been any AI in NC at this point.

This sounds to me like the commercial industry has padded some pockets somewhere.  The hobby farmer has always had the finger pointed at them, but when it comes right down to it the commercial industry has always been their own problem.  Where did the salmonella outbreaks come from?  And now the AI issues?
Jean

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 09:48:14 PM »
I understand the logic, but it is rather scary when the state decides to take this stance.  We are just a burr under the saddle of both the commercial folks and the state ag folks.  Its kind of sad really.  Wonder if its time to buy some property in another state somewhere?   Its really nice out here in CO and WY this time of year.   
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Michelle Ogden

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »
I haven't been on the forum in a while, so I'm just seeing this post.
When this "plan" first came out, all media implied it was mandatory. However, recently, I've read several news articles that say it is actually optional. And, really, it's not like they have the legal ability to enforce this anyway. It would have to be legislation, I would think.
I was planning on getting NPIP certified in a few months (when all my chicks are grown), so I guess I'll be "registered" then, but I am definitely not an advocate of this program!