Author Topic: Jr show results  (Read 4354 times)

faith valley

Jr show results
« on: June 21, 2005, 09:33:53 PM »
John,

Thought you\'d like to know that on Saturday, Caleb entered two of his blue wheaten hens in our County\'s Youth fun show.  He placed Champion hen in a class of 5 and Champion female / female pair in a class of 9 pairs.  He used the one little hens for showmansip in the Pee Wee class and placed 1st out of 5 kids.

He was so proud of his blue wheatens.  We really appreciate you sending such nice birds for him to work with.

He has hatched out 10 chicks so far, and there are 6 eggs that are still pipped- they aren\'t due to hatch till morning.  We have about another 24 eggs or so in the incubator with later hatch dates.  I think I will have him set eggs this week and then have that as the last setting.  He has really enjoyed working with his birds.

Thanks
~Patty~

John

Jr show results
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 09:46:57 PM »
Wow!  Caleb the master exhibitor.

faith valley

Jr show results
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 09:56:24 PM »
Well, you know when you are 7 it is a pretty big deal.  And these are the only birds he personally owns, so that makes it all the  more special.  He wanted to enter the male / female pair class, but the male is in a major molt so I wouldn\'t let him take the male - didn\'t want to stress the bird, plus a molty bird wouldn\'t place anyway.

Our next show will be up in MN.  I understand there will be a state meet up at the Hutchinson, MN show in October.  Hope these birds dont get car sick- it is at least a 16 hour drive up there.  Caleb plans to take some blue wheatens to show in addition to the wheaten pullet that hatched from an egg that bantam hill sent out to us.  She will be about 6 months old by then.  

Will a bantam wheaten ameraucana pullet be ready at 6 months?

John

Jr show results
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 08:52:10 AM »
Yes, at six months he should be ready to sow.

faith valley

Jr show results
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 09:24:33 AM »
She is pretty dark, each of her tail feathers are perfectly laced- pretty little bird.  I remember you all saying that the goal was for them to be light in body color and not dark, so she might not do well, but he will be proud of her anyway.

We emptied out the hatcher this morning.  All hatched except one.  Too bad, that egg was pipped too.  One of the chicks trounced it and rolled it upside down.

He has 15 hatched out so far, with three more hatches left.  We should make our goal of 25 chicks;  then the culling process..... In the end we are wanting to keep one trio of wheaten so that we can use them with the blue wheaten quad next year.  He has a couple friends anxiously waiting for the ones that we decide not to keep.