Author Topic: Buff Bantam Cockerals  (Read 3223 times)

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Buff Bantam Cockerals
« on: September 14, 2015, 08:57:46 AM »
One of our local breeders ordered a box of buff chicks and ended up with 2 pullets in the lot.  So they have Lots of young males available for anyone looking.  There are about 3/4 grown and look quite nice.  Jerry Segler used to say that he could use a Buff male with whites (sex link gold/silver) and have great buff females in a generation.  And you can cross the Buff with Wheatens to strengthen the buff genetics.  It takes a generation or two to get clear buff color again, but it does work to improve the vitality of the family quite well. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:04:08 AM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Re: Buff Bantam Cockerals
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »
Don, there is a gentleman on FB on the ameraucana thread looking for buffs.  But he is looking for diversity since his line is having trouble reproducing and thriving.
Jean

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Buff Bantam Cockerals
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 09:38:28 PM »
Jean, you can give them my email and we can talk.  I wonder if it is not the same strain.  But I will be glad to  talk to them about it.  I am hoping that a friend here in state can hatch some pure buffs this spring.  But we also have a few breeders who plan to cross back to Wheaten and White like Jerry suggested before.  I've heard that another breeder has had viability problems and now has wheatens again.  Maybe for this purpose.   
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 07:29:28 AM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9