Author Topic: Splash wheaten variety APA recognition  (Read 7021 times)

Sarah Meaders

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Splash wheaten variety APA recognition
« on: September 20, 2015, 07:03:31 AM »
I am very interested in getting splash wheaten a recognized variety by the APA. I hope to see splash and lavender recognized soon, too, but I can't get involved in either of those, YET.

I hope to have splash wheatens hatching this spring. I will join the APA right before the hatching season. I know of at least three other breeders who already have splash wheatens, and I am certain there are many more.

I guess I am asking for a group to be started and organized to get this process started. I have attached the section in the APA by laws about variety additions if anyone is interested in doing this. There has to be at least five breeders, five years of the variety, and during those five years, all five breeders have to be members of the APA. There also are showing requirements that are already being met by multiple breeders.

I am definitely going to be breeding splash wheatens regardless. I think they are beautiful and deserve recognition. Can we get an organized group going? It would be awesome if splash and lavender did the same at the same time, but as I said, I am nowhere near ready for any more varieties than I already have. :(

Let's do this!

Section 2: Admission of Breed and Varieties 

a. A petition for recognition of any breed or variety of any domestic or foreign breed must be sent to the Secretary, at least one year prior to the first qualifying meet, giving the history of its origin, breeding background, and with facts of an educational nature, all of which shall be preserved in the records of the Association. Included shall be the proposed name of the breed or variety with a standard for shape, color and weight, written in the same style and format as the Standard and included with the petition, with copyright assigned to the American Poultry Association, Inc. The proposed breed must manifest at least three (3) differences from existing standard breeds, this to be determined by the Standard Committee. If a breed or variety  had been  accepted by the American Bantam Association before January 2007, a qualifying meet will not be required if the Standard Committee is satisfied through show reports from the US and Canadian shows, that 200 or more birds have been shown by at least three (3) exhibitors in the last three (3) years. If the description is in conflict with the description which was approved at a proper qualifying meet of the ABA, then the applicant must either adjust the application so that the conflicts are removed or work with the Standard Committee of the ABA to remove the conflict. 

b. Affidavits shall be included from not less than five (5)  breeders, of 18 years of age or older, stating that they have bred the breed or variety for not less than five years and that it produces not less than 50% of all specimens reasonably true to type, color, size and comb. One of the five breeders will act as the spokesperson for the group and all correspondence will be between him or her and the Standard Committee. All five (5) breeders must be members of the Association before submitting the affidavit and must be members for a minimum of five (5) years before the first qualifying meet can take place.

c. Certificates showing four (4) or more specimens have been exhibited in each class of cocks, hens, cockerels and pullets in each of the preceding two years at a show officiated by a licensed A.P.A. judge. The Standard Committee shall contact the judge for his or her confidential opinion of the quality and uniformity.

d. A deposit of a sum sufficient to defray the actual cost of placing the text in the Standard shall be received with the petition, which amount shall be returned in full in case of rejection. 

e. The petition will then be referred to the Committee on Standards who shall name the two (2) qualifying meets, the first at a regional show and the second at the Annual Convention. The meets are to be at least one (1) year apart and are to be judged by licensed A.P. A. judges that will be approved by the Standard Committee.  Such qualifying meets shall consist of not less than twenty-five (25) specimens for a new variety and fifty (50) specimens for a new breed exhibited by at least five(5)  exhibitors in all classes of cock, hen, cockerel and pullet. All exhibitors participating in the qualifying meet must be members of the Association at the time of the judging.

f. When satisfied of the breed or variety, the committee may recommend its acceptance, subject to final approval by the Board of Directors, upon which it becomes a recognized breed or variety. 

g. No petition for subdivision of any standard variety shall be entertained by the Committee on Standards except Turkeys. 

h. The Association recommends that the applicant for a new breed or variety of bantam apply for a joint meet for recognition with the American Bantam Association.

I. If the breed or variety fails to meet the qualifying meet standards another qualifying meet will not be scheduled for a minimum of six (6) months. An additional fee will be required to offset the costs of the added meet.
Proclaim Yahweh's greatness with me! Let us exhale His name together! Psalm 34:3

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Splash wheaten variety APA recognition
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 02:01:29 PM »
Sarah,  They are a very beautiful color and most everyone that has Blue Wheatens hatches these each year.  So having the number of breeders working with them should not be a problem.  I do not know how many of these are members of the APA/ABA now that the APA has decided to change their rules.  I wonder how long it might take for the ABA to follow in the same steps. 

I do not have the most current APA standard so can't be sure, but the ABA standard lists the Splash Wheaten color as inactive.  Its says you can order a copy of the color description from the ABA secretary for a reasonable fee.  This might be a good next step if you want to champion the cause.  Or maybe the Club could front this cost?
The color description for the Splash Wheaten female should be fairly simple.  The male description might be more difficult to figure out.  The ABA secretary might be able to preview the male description and verify that it does not simply refer to another color pattern, IE Red Pyle with splash attributes. 

Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 01:30:57 PM »
We have a couple of Splash Wheaten cockerals available at this time.  These are about 16 weeks old.  I can send some pictures if requested.   
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 08:51:31 PM by Don »
Don Cash

Sarah Meaders

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 08:22:46 PM »
Don, I would LOVE to see those! Can you post them? I really would like to see a group commit to this project. There is no way I can head this, as I am so very inexperienced, but I am a good documenter and I will join the APA just for this if no other reason, and I will work real hard at learning fast!
Proclaim Yahweh's greatness with me! Let us exhale His name together! Psalm 34:3

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 09:35:01 AM »
I will get some pictures of our Splash Wheaten males once this monsoon clears.  But I did find a couple of pictures on the forum of a couple SW males that are pretty well grown.  They are not showing well in the middle of winter, but the pics are easily accessible and shows the head and lacing on the breast.

http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1469.msg9753#msg9753

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

Thanks Susan for reworking and posting the pictures!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:07:57 PM by Don »
Don Cash

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »
Here are the pictures of Don's splash wheaten cockerels. :)

Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 06:26:16 PM »
Good picture I like the head and back for that age
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

Carolyn Selent-Wild

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 09:26:44 PM »
I have 3 Splash Wheaten roos, I Splash roo and 2 Splash hens. They came from pairings of my Blue Wheaten roo to a Blue Wheaten hen. They are so pretty I plan on breeding them to each other and to my Blue Ameraucana's. I want to add more to my flock working with different pairings. I am all for the idea of getting them onto the APA list.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:38:47 PM by Carolyn Selent-Wild »

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 10:02:04 PM »
Hey Carolyn,   Thank you for posting the pictures.  From the pictures the Splash Wheatens appear pretty light but it might be the lighting of these shots.  Do you have pictures of your blue wheatens by chance?  Did you get any splash wheaten females?  So you are planning to mate the Splash wheaten males back to Blue Wheaten females?

The splash female looks like she has pretty nice blue ticking.  What do you have to mate the Splash for this upcoming season?  Most feel that the splash needs to be mated back to a Dark Blue to keep the Splash from diluting further and getting too light.   I know of at least one breeder has had success mating Splash to Splash for one generation and still produced chicks with good base pigment.
Don Cash