Author Topic: Rookie question  (Read 4665 times)

Art Smith

• ABC Members
  • Alabama
    • View Profile
Rookie question
« on: October 15, 2015, 09:56:10 AM »
I purchased chicks from Mr. Paul Smith this spring and he had to substitute some Blue Wheaten chicks to complete my order for Wheaten chicks. There was no problem identifying the cockerels but not so with the pullets. Can someone please tell me if there is a way to tell the difference in the pullets.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Rookie question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 10:57:04 AM »
Hi Art,

Hope the chicks are turning out OK for you!

Yes, there is a way to tell the wheaten females from the blue wheaten females.

The wheaten females will have black in their tail and wings.  The blue wheaten will females will have blue in tail and wings.
Paul Smith

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
Hi Art, Glad to see you on the forum.  I hope you have enjoyed the Wheatens and blue wheatens.

Some of the wheaten females don't show as much black or blue color in their tails as the standard lists.  Sometimes the color is broken in these areas with more light tan where the solid black or greyish blue should be.  But sometimes you can see the color on the bottom section of the wing primaries.  Spread the wings and you might be able to tell the difference in the solid black color and bluish colors.   

This might help         http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=2139.msg15538#msg15538

I hope that you raised some good birds out of the chicks.  List any that you don't want to keep on the forum. I am sure that you will find someone that will be willing to take them off your hands.  Or take them to the national.  I expect there will be people looking for stock there.     
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:12:46 PM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Art Smith

• ABC Members
  • Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 07:43:46 AM »
Yes Paul I have had good luck raising the chicks. I just got rid of the cockerels except for the ones I'll use for breeding. The birds were almost exactly on the 50-50 you would expect out of a straight run. They didn't have to look very hard to find a good scrap anytime they felt like it. ;D Thanks to both of you for the info I'll examine the girls closer and see if I can tell the difference.

Another quick question, will the eggs get a darker blue as the hens get older? I have gotten 3 eggs to date and they are a very light blue.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 09:41:31 AM »
For me it is easiest to just spread the wings and there will be a color triangle in either black or blue.

Jean

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 02:32:19 PM »
  Unfortunately the wheaten (all three-wheaten, blue wheaten and splash wheaten) eggs get lighter in color as they lay.   Normally they start out being a light blue, then fade to an off white with a blue tint, then later lay white eggs.  We have had a very few lay pink eggs.  None of the pink eggs have been hatched.  The pullets that have laid pink eggs have all been sold to someone who wants layers to produce eggs to eat.  Either 3 or 4 years ago, our bluest egg from a pullet for that year was laid by either a wheaten or blue wheaten pullet!

Back to your original question.  I didn't think at the time to tell you that splash wheaten pullets will have white in their wing and tail feathers.  There will not be any possibility of you having a splash as none of our pens were set-up to produce any last spring.

Presently we have two breeding pens set-up which can/will produce splash wheaten, with at least one more in the plans.

One is our #+3W-2016 which is a splash wheaten cock and a blue wheaten hen.  They will produce (on average) 50% splash and 50% blue wheaten chicks.  The other breeding pen is #+4W-2016 which is a blue wheaten cock and 3 blue wheaten hens.  They will produce (on the average) 50% blue wheaten, 25% wheaten and 25% splash wheaten chicks.  The bad thing is the chicks cannot be determined which they are at hatching, as they are all the same color at a day old.  When the chicks are about 2 weeks old, the first chick feathers on their wings and tail will let you know whether they are wheaten, blue wheaten or splash wheaten.  Wheaten will have black, blue wheaten will have blue and splash wheaten will have white.  The wheaten varieties (all three) are a lot of fun to raise as they go through many changes from hatching to maturity (show ready)!
Paul Smith