Author Topic: ABC Seeks Approval for Self Blue from APA!  (Read 9333 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
ABC Seeks Approval for Self Blue from APA!
« on: January 10, 2016, 07:32:42 PM »
At last! The Ameraucana Breeders Club is starting the process to have Large Fowl Self-Blue (aka lavender) Ameraucanas recognized by the APA and would like your assistance.
We are using the name "Self-Blue", instead of the more commonly known "Lavender" to meet the APA naming standards and conventions.

If you have been an APA member and had Large Fowl Self-Blue (aka lavender) Ameraucanas for a minimum of 5 years, you can be a part of an historical event! These will be the first variety accepted by either the APA or the ABA since the Ameraucanas were first admitted to the Standard in 1984!
Please join us in taking this action of historical significance!

Contact us at info@ameraucana.org
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: ABC Seeks Approval for Self Blue from APA!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 05:45:52 AM »
Susan, I am sure you will keep us updated on what needs to be done next and what is lacking during the process.  But what is the process for acceptance of Bantam Lavs, both from the APA and ABA?

Also, for those who hope to help work on other varieties, Splash and Splash Wheaten have been discussed, what should we be doing in these years before the the official application is started?  I understand that larger numbers of the varieties need to be exhibited at some shows each year? 

Another thought, do we ask the Judges to choose Best AOC/AOV at ABC meets?  In my mind this might help folks to bring out the new colors more often.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:55:54 AM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 08:17:24 AM »
Right now, the affidavits have gone out to the five breeders and I'm just waiting to get them back.  Once those are back, the paperwork and a check for $300 are sent off to APA to start the process.

On other colors, Sarah Meaders is getting folks together on the splash wheaten front and I'm sure she'll be keeping us updated.  It would be great to have someone leading the charge for Splash, as well.

To get APA approval, we will need 4 cock, 4 hen, 4 pullet, and 4 cockerel shown at one show per year for two years prior to submitting the petition to APA. So, if you have either splash wheaten or splash, get them out to the shows! 

The process is simpler with ABA, but I'm not sure of the details. Maybe Jean will pop in and give us that breakdown.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Temple DaSilva

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »

The process is simpler with ABA, but I'm not sure of the details. Maybe Jean will pop in and give us that breakdown.

I would very much like to help with the process for bantams.  I'm certainly too new to try to champion the effort but I'm all in for helping someone lead the charge!

-temple

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »
The 4-4-4-4 requirement is not difficult to achieve if we work together. We have worked with other clubs on gaining acceptance for other breeds and varieties. Once we decide on the breed and/or variety to work with, we let all of the exhibitors in that area that we were planning to use a specific show for a 4-4-4-4 for the breed or variety. Everyone who was working with that breed or variety made it a point to carry their birds to that show.At the completion of the show we had to fill out a form for the APA, have the judge sign it, and mail it in to the APA.

We are working with the Marans Chicken Club USA in gaining recognition for the Blue Wheaten Marans. We were contacted by a member of the club and asked what Blue Wheaten Marans we would be able to enter at the Bluebonnet Classic. We took two cocks, two pullets, and two cockerels. There were other breeders who brought a few birds in different classes. At the show there were 5 cocks, 6 hens, 5 cockerels, and 8 pullets. We finished our first 4-4-4-4 for this variety at the Bluebonnet Classic in College Station.

If we work together on either of the varieties that were mentioned, we can fulfill the 4-4-4-4 requirements at a couple of shows this fall. It is a little late for us here in the south because show season is almost over. I am sure that some of us can make it a point to raise some of this year's hatches for fall shows. Surely someone has enough Cocks, Hens, older Cockerels, and older Pullets to use for a couple of fall shows. I know that we will be able to have a couple of Splash Cocks, Splash Hens,

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire

Sarah Meaders

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 02:30:34 PM »
Temple DaSilva, are you interested in helping with Bantam Self-blue, Splash Wheaten or Splash? :)
Proclaim Yahweh's greatness with me! Let us exhale His name together! Psalm 34:3

Temple DaSilva

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 09:12:34 AM »
Temple DaSilva, are you interested in helping with Bantam Self-blue, Splash Wheaten or Splash? :)

Hi Sarah,

I only have the bantam self blues.  Well, I also have a start in chocolates but that's another story!  I am happy to help whoever is working on the bantam self blues.  I'm in New England.

-temple

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 05:46:28 PM »
Update!

The package of information, including a brief history of the variety, a new Standard of Perfection for Self-Blue, a listing of show entries (it actually dates back to 2009, instead of just the two years required by APA), and the Breeder's Affidavits, along with the payment, have been forwarded to Walt Leonard, Chairman of the Standards Committee at the APA.

Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 08:35:59 AM »
We have been notified by the Chairman of the Standards committee, Walt Leonard, that the APA Board has accepted our proposal for approval of Self-Blue.
Wonderful way to start the day!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 08:47:55 AM »
Great news! Another step for mankind in the Ameraucana world!
Gordon Gilliam

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 11:48:08 AM »
That's great news Susan.  Thank you for all the work you put into the work to prepare the application and to all those that signed affidavits.  Now we just have to get out to some shows and put together some numbers of this color together in a couple of shows.  I know that some hope to gather a group at the National this year.  Anybody have any thoughts about a location for a show or two closer to the central or eastern areas?  It would be great to get some bantams out there in numbers too.  Who all is interested in working with bantams in this color? 
Don Cash

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 09:19:12 PM »
It is great to know that the APA has accepted our proposal. Like Don stated, now we have to get birds shown in numbers.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire
Poultry 2XL
Arp, Texas

Briana Moore

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
    • Mo's Mini Farm
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »
Is the proposed standard for the Self Blue posted somewhere for reference? I don't have that variety, but the leg color has come up in discussion with someone. I'd like to verify what should be expected, if possible. TIA!

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 12:45:28 PM »
Briana,  I thought it was posted here but can't put my hands on it right now.  This it the final breed/color description it I am not mistaken.  Please someone correct this is if it not the final correct submission.

COMB, FACE, WATTLES, AND EARLOBES: Red, except female earlobes to be very pale, matching color of skin. BEAK: Horn to black.
EYES: Reddish bay.
SHANKS AND TOES: Slate, bottoms of feet and toes white.
PLUMAGE: In all sections preference to be given to a medium shade of clear blue, free from lacing, shaftiness, mealiness and messiness, with no contrast in color between any of the sections, a harmonious blending of all sections being desired, the male sex feathers of hackles, back, saddle and wing-bows carrying a metallic gloss of the same basic hue as the general plumage and free from green, purple or bronze sheen.  Indistinct barring is a defect.
BEARD AND MUFFS:  Medium shade of clear blue, matching body color.
Don Cash

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 02:45:55 PM »
I have been breeding the Lavender for at least ten years including Lavender Orpingtons.  I am sorry as since I have started my own strain of LF lavender Ameracauana (besides making the lavender aruacana) I can not agree at all with calling them Self-Blue.  My line is different than John Blehm that also created his own line.  I seldom sell since it appears the monetary portion is greater than the improvement of the color. 
Harry Shaffer