Author Topic: ABC Seeks Approval for Self Blue from APA!  (Read 9409 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Re: ABC Seeks Approval for Self Blue from APA!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 04:33:39 PM »
Briana,  I thought it was posted here but can't put my hands on it right now.  This it the final breed/color description it I am not mistaken.  Please someone correct this is if it not the final correct submission.

COMB, FACE, WATTLES, AND EARLOBES: Red, except female earlobes to be very pale, matching color of skin. BEAK: Horn to black.
EYES: Reddish bay.
SHANKS AND TOES: Slate, bottoms of feet and toes white.
PLUMAGE: In all sections preference to be given to a medium shade of clear blue, free from lacing, shaftiness, mealiness and messiness, with no contrast in color between any of the sections, a harmonious blending of all sections being desired, the male sex feathers of hackles, back, saddle and wing-bows carrying a metallic gloss of the same basic hue as the general plumage and free from green, purple or bronze sheen.  Indistinct barring is a defect.
BEARD AND MUFFS:  Medium shade of clear blue, matching body color.

Thanks for posting that, Don.  I had intended to put it in the bulletin, but forgot.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 10:51:28 PM »
Thanks, Don for posting this on this thread. I am happy to see that we are moving forward with getting another variety accepted, but we can't stop working to improve the varieties that we already have accepted. I have seen it happen more that once where the push is on a new variety and we forget improving the ones that we have. I am not trying to put a cloud over the breed, but we have varieties that are accepted that still need attention.

JMO.
Ernie Haire
Poultry 2XL

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 07:43:56 AM »
Harry,  I know that many folks have stock from your line of AMs and we all greatly appreciate the time and effort you have put into the Breed.  I hope that they will continue to increase in popularity as well as be improved all along the process.  I think there still are many people that prefer the Lav name overall.  The Self Blue is the established name required by the current Standards, and is the only way that this variety can be shown on equal standing with the Blacks, Blues and Whites at this time.  I hope in the near future there will be a correction of the Self Blue name in all of the breeds that they are produced.  It is a very beautiful color and deserves to compete on an equal standing.  I hope to see more of this variety as well as other new varieties in the many shows across the country. 

Ernie, I agree that the eight accepted varieties still need work.  Not to hijack this thread, but the Old varieties can easily fall by the way side and the work that has been put forth can be easily lost when new colors attract the attention of the breeders of the day.  They say in olden days that the Buff Cochin was as good as the Blacks and Whites.  So we can continue this discussion on Susan's new thread.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:08:54 AM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »
I started a new thread, under "Breeding", called the Legacy Varieties, to discuss the challenges (and rewards) of each of the currently accepted varieties, so we don't lose focus on what we already have, in pursuit of the new projects underway. :)

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/forum/index.php?topic=3021.msg20890#new
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:34:53 AM by Susan Mouw »
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Sarah Meaders

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 08:45:31 AM »
Awesome!!!
Proclaim Yahweh's greatness with me! Let us exhale His name together! Psalm 34:3

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 11:05:19 AM »
We are planning to work with the Self Blues as soon as we can find a nice trio or quad to work with. I don't want to go to the trouble of raising big numbers. Due to the breeds and varieties that we are working with now, I don't have the space to grow out big numbers. I know the APA requirements and know that we are going to have to show birds of this variety to get them through the process. Mom, Mary, and I are all willing to help the club with this project.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire
Poultry 2XL