Author Topic: Online, easy image resizing  (Read 8633 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Online, easy image resizing
« on: February 02, 2016, 05:04:25 PM »
I know some folks have been having issues getting images resized to post on the forum, and, of course, we all want to see all those pics of your chicks, wins, coops, and more!

So, in an attempt to help those who are having these issues, I found this site and jotted down these quick instructions.

There is a free online app where you can do some simple editing, including resizing, of your images, here:
http://www.picresize.com/

When you go to the site, the first page is full of advertising (they gotta come up with some way to pay for the site, so it stays free for all of us! :) )

In the middle of the screen you'll see an option to upload a photo, You can click on the drop down to select whether to upload it from your computer or an url.  If the photo is on your computer, click from your computer, then just below that, click browse.

Find your picture on your computer, click open.

Click Continue

When the image is displayed, scroll down (about halfway down) to Resize Your Picture.

You can choose to reduce it by 25%, 50%, or 75%, or select a custom size.  In most cases, selecting 50% will be suitable.

Once you've made your choice, scroll down to "I'm done, Resize my picture, " and click it

When processing is done, you can view the changed image, continue editing it, save it to disk, or save it web (must have dedicated server space for this)

It will display the results in size
Original 1926 x 1791 944 kb
New 963x896 272 kb

Ok, folks - let the pictures begin! :)

Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Dan Pitts

Re: Online, easy image resizing
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 05:16:20 PM »
Thanks, Susan! I'll give it a try

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 05:24:11 PM »
Thanks, Susan! I'll give it a try

Ok, you can be my "guinea pig" and let me know if it was easy or not. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Dan Pitts

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 02:38:57 PM »
Testing

Dan Pitts

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 02:39:56 PM »
Thanks, Susan! I had to format it to "fit screen" 25% or 50% was still too large

Dan Pitts

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »
I found an easier way. An option at the bottom of the page is "max file size". Just put in 150, and click resize.
ETA: After resizing several pictures with this editor, setting the max file size to 150 is definitely the easiest way to go. No guessing about percentages, and it will pick the closest image size to 150. 150 is the limit for the forum
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:51:02 PM by Dan Pitts »

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 05:41:49 PM »
Awesome!!  Thanks, Dan!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 07:36:50 PM »
Yes the option Dan said, is the easiest option. Its under Step # 4

But under Step # 2 under the %. You have to put (NO CHANGE), if you don't. It will re-size to whatever percentage you have it at and Step # 4 will not work.

Dan Pitts

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 10:42:10 AM »
After a few more tries, the 150 max file size doesn't always work. I get the best results now not reducing a percentage or file size, but by scrolling down to "fit to 800 resolution"

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 12:20:28 PM »
After a few more tries, the 150 max file size doesn't always work. I get the best results now not reducing a percentage or file size, but by scrolling down to "fit to 800 resolution"

Interesting, It works for me every single time. Are you selecting no change in step #2?

Dan Pitts

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 01:31:30 PM »

Interesting, It works for me every single time. Are you selecting no change in step #2?
I thought I was, but maybe not. I selected "no change", 150 max file size, and what I was getting were huge pictures that were heavily pixelated from some of them. When I went to the 800 resolution, they looked better. I wonder if it's because some of my pictures are from an Iphone 5, and the latest are from a 6s. The six has a much higher resolution camera

Michelle Ogden

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 09:07:57 PM »
Another trick that I've found, if you have your picture on a mobile device, is to email it to yourself. My phone then asks me what size I want to send it and I click small. Then when I get the email, I simply re-save it to my photo gallery to upload here.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 09:18:34 AM »
Is that an Iphone or a Droid, Michelle?  My phone doesn't seem to offer that option...it is a droid - or maybe I'm just not seeing it.

Another option is to size your photos in your phone settings.  I know in my phone, I can set the size of the pictures I will be taking in the settings and then I don't have to worry about sizing the actual photos down later. 

The only problem with that is if you want to crop something out of the smaller photo later, you could end up with a really small image.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 12:04:09 PM »
Susan, I have used this option before on my I phone.
Gordon Gilliam

Michelle Ogden

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 01:56:18 PM »
Yes, it's an iPhone, Susan.