Author Topic: Eye Candy  (Read 14882 times)

Dan Pitts

Re: Eye Candy
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 10:17:34 AM »
And here's the splash. Susan also told me his type isn't as good as the black, but I love his coloring. Very nice cape for a splash

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 11:28:01 AM »
Perfect, Dan!!

I really like him. (the black)

I know some will love the splash, but I'd use that black any day of the week.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:30:13 AM by Susan Mouw »
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Dan Pitts

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 01:28:27 PM »
Customers that are looking for blue eggs and yard candy are dying over the splash. I'm so glad that I joined a forum where the experts can teach me what to look for in the birds. The black isn't as eye catching as the splash, but you and others have taught me what makes the black better. I really am enjoying this first year of quality birds. I saw the Breeding for Blue thread, and there is some wonderful information in there.
Like I said, I'm chatty, and love posting pictures, so you guys will get sick of hearing me ask for opinions on my birds. As soon as I get some chicks to keep for myself, I will start posting pictures as they grow to learn what the real breeders look for.
Paul sent me a toe punch chart, and told me how to begin marking them. My punch came last week, so I'm ready to go

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »
Like I said, I'm chatty, and love posting pictures, so you guys will get sick of hearing me ask for opinions on my birds. As soon as I get some chicks to keep for myself, I will start posting pictures as they grow to learn what the real breeders look for.

Bring on your results and pictures when you get them. We're here ready and waiting for them!
Gordon Gilliam

Dan Pitts

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 09:59:15 AM »

Bring on your results and pictures when you get them. We're here ready and waiting for them!
Ok, well, here's the weekend results. I had horrible fertility, and only 7 eggs made lockdown, but all 7 hatched. My next batch has 14 viable eggs, and goes into lockdown tonight, so I think the black rooster is picking up the pace. I set incubator 1 again this morning, and there are a dozen eggs from the black rooster in this set, so hopefully I will get better results this time.
All of the chicks in these pictures are a result of my splash rooster over the 3 black and one very dark blue hen. I had another blue from the black pen and a splash hatch last night. I've read that you can predict blue color by the color of the down. If that's true, I'm very happy with the dark color of these chicks:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:36:33 AM by Dan Pitts »

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 10:06:22 AM »
Dan - your chicks are beautiful!

Quick question - are you using cedar chips in the brooder? I noticed the red color and thought it might be cedar. If you are, you might experience some respiratory issues with those chicks. Cedar oil can cause respiratory problems in chickens.

Just straight pine shavings are best, if you're going to use shavings. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Dan Pitts

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 10:15:24 AM »
Dan - your chicks are beautiful!

Quick question - are you using cedar chips in the brooder? I noticed the red color and thought it might be cedar. If you are, you might experience some respiratory issues with those chicks. Cedar oil can cause respiratory problems in chickens.

Just straight pine shavings are best, if you're going to use shavings. :)
I swear, I thought I had read about issues with cedar, but couldn't remember what. It was all I had on hand this weekend. I will pick up some pine on the way home. Thanks, Susan.
Aren't yours hatching in the next day or 2? How many made lockdown?

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 10:28:18 AM »
Yes, I'm really excited to see what I get!  Only 19 eggs, out of 28, are going into lockdown, with most of the non-starters coming from the black pens.  I have another hatch going into lockdown Friday, and am hoping those odds are better with the blacks.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Dan Pitts

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 10:32:26 AM »
Yes, I'm really excited to see what I get!  Only 19 eggs, out of 28, are going into lockdown, with most of the non-starters coming from the black pens.  I have another hatch going into lockdown Friday, and am hoping those odds are better with the blacks.
What kind of incubator do you use? I have 2 Octagon 20 Advances. My first batch I ran at about 42% for the first 18 days and had a 75% hatch rate on lockdown eggs. The air cells looked a little small, so this time I dropped to 35%. Only 7 made lockdown, but all fertile eggs hatched, so I'm running this next set at 35%, too

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 10:39:25 AM »
I have a pair of Dickey's incubator and hatcher.  The incubator is a three tray with auto-turners and a bottom tray for hatching (which I don't use) and the hatcher is a five tray.  This is my first year with the separate hatcher, so I'll let you know how that works.

When I just had the small styrofoam incubators, I used two - one for setting and one for hatching - and that worked well - all things considered.  Then when I first got the cabinet style incubator, I thought I could use the styrofoam for hatching and it just didn't work well at all.  So now I have a cabinet style hatcher, too. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Dan Pitts

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 12:19:24 PM »
I have a pair of Dickey's incubator and hatcher.  The incubator is a three tray with auto-turners and a bottom tray for hatching (which I don't use) and the hatcher is a five tray.  This is my first year with the separate hatcher, so I'll let you know how that works.

When I just had the small styrofoam incubators, I used two - one for setting and one for hatching - and that worked well - all things considered.  Then when I first got the cabinet style incubator, I thought I could use the styrofoam for hatching and it just didn't work well at all.  So now I have a cabinet style hatcher, too. :)
I had to buy the second Brinsea this year to keep up. I'll see how my breeding and sales go this year and maybe move up to a cabinet next year. 20 chicks every week or so is perfect for me, but if I get my NPIP cert. I will look into shipping next season.
The Brinseas are so simple to clean that I incubate and hatch in the same machine. I pulled the last chick out this morning, washed the incubator, and set again. My next batch should hatch Thursday and Friday, and I will set it again this weekend

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 04:55:06 PM »

Ok, well, here's the weekend results. I had horrible fertility, and only 7 eggs made lockdown, but all 7 hatched. My next batch has 14 viable eggs, and goes into lockdown tonight, so I think the black rooster is picking up the pace. I set incubator 1 again this morning, and there are a dozen eggs from the black rooster in this set, so hopefully I will get better results this time.

Dan, I wouldn't give up the ship yet. You are probably a month ahead of our weather here in Nebraska. If I set in early March I would probably get the same fertility results as you, maybe even 0% fertility. I usually start setting here around 2-3 week of March. I feel great if my fertility is in the 25-30% range. By the 2nd week in April settings the fertility continues to climb until late April it is where it should be. Our weather here has been crazy (but normal). About 2-1/2 weeks never getting above freezing, sometimes lows below 0. Yesterday actually made 40. The weatherman is forecasting 60 degrees Thursday and Friday and then start dropping down again. 60 degree weather, wow, it has probably been early December since that has been here. Our daylight hours here are still in the 10-1/2 hr range finally, which should start helping since I don't use artificial lighting. No wonder the birds are confused with the temps all over the place.

You have a start on the 2016 hatching season with some good looking chicks. In my opinion nothing is as cute as day old Blue chicks! Ok other variety lovers, I've taken cover, now you can start throwing the stones!
Gordon Gilliam

Dan Pitts

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 05:27:40 PM »

Dan, I wouldn't give up the ship yet. You are probably a month ahead of our weather here in Nebraska. If I set in early March I would probably get the same fertility results as you, maybe even 0% fertility. I usually start setting here around 2-3 week of March. I feel great if my fertility is in the 25-30% range. By the 2nd week in April settings the fertility continues to climb until late April it is where it should be. Our weather here has been crazy (but normal). About 2-1/2 weeks never getting above freezing, sometimes lows below 0. Yesterday actually made 40. The weatherman is forecasting 60 degrees Thursday and Friday and then start dropping down again. 60 degree weather, wow, it has probably been early December since that has been here. Our daylight hours here are still in the 10-1/2 hr range finally, which should start helping since I don't use artificial lighting. No wonder the birds are confused with the temps all over the place.

You have a start on the 2016 hatching season with some good looking chicks. In my opinion nothing is as cute as day old Blue chicks! Ok other variety lovers, I've taken cover, now you can start throwing the stones!
These are the only color I have dealt with, but there is no doubt the AMs are the cutest chicks I have ever had.
I usually start hatching in January with pretty good results, and my splash rooster has been about 85%. I think the big deal with the black is he was third in line of 3 roosters before I split them down from my original group. It took him a while to start acting like the leader of that flock. A little splash hen had assumed that role (I know how the poor guy feels).
In the last 3 weeks, he has been the first to the scratch, calling the girls when he finds treats, and just generally being more rooster-like. He seems to be getting more...proficient...with his fertilization, so I expect this next batch to be better. That splash/black combo is throwing some pretty colored blues, but I really want to get a blue rooster from that black rooster. I need a good blue

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 05:33:08 PM »

Awww...now I really want some blue chicks!!  I'm getting some from Sharon Yorks this spring...now I really can't wait.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »

Awww...now I really want some blue chicks!!  I'm getting some from Sharon Yorks this spring...now I really can't wait.

Susan, it will be worth the wait!  Trust me!
Gordon Gilliam