Author Topic: Bantam Splash Wheatens  (Read 6093 times)

Sarah Meaders

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Bantam Splash Wheatens
« on: February 11, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »
I was intrigued to see that the APA actually RECOMMENDS doing the qualifying meet for Bantams at the same time as the qualifying meet for the APA! The requirements for the ABA are much less complicated, and we can coordinate these easily if we have enough breeders. Bantam breeders who will be exhibiting the SW in the qualifying meet WILL need to be ABA members at the time of the meet, but there is no requirement for number of years of membership. This qualifying meet is at LEAST two years away, but likely a bit longer due to the requirements of the APA. Lots of work to be done, but there is plenty of time to do it!

If you breed wheaten/blue wheaten/splash wheaten bantams, please consider joining this effort! I have a Facebook page dedicated to keeping everyone in the loop and coordinate the project. I also keep those who aren't on Facebook updated via email.

Please let me know if you would be interested in helping this beautiful variety be added to the Standard. We need as many dedicated breeders involved!

Thanks!
Proclaim Yahweh's greatness with me! Let us exhale His name together! Psalm 34:3

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
Re: Bantam Splash Wheatens
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 01:15:45 AM »
WHat is the ABA requirement for acceptance?

Peggy Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 04:01:24 PM »
Sarah:

I breed the Wheaten/ Blue Wheaten Bantams and am willing to work on this project for the Splash Wheaten Bantams. Especially if we don't have to meet that 5 year requirement.  I have a trio now made up of Blue Wheatens that I put together just for Splash Wheatens.  I've just started to put a few eggs in the incubator from them.   I also have another trio made up of BWh cock, BWh hen and a Wh hen.  They have not started to lay yet.

This should be interesting.  Is there any kind of "proposed standard" that can be used with the cockerels when it comes to culling time.  The females will not be difficult but it could be a different story with the males.

Peggy Taylor

Sarah Meaders

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 04:34:21 PM »
Cesar, I am so sorry I didn't see your question until just now!

I have a copy of the ABA by-laws, and Jean also communicated with them directly just to verify the simplicity of it. Really, all you have to do is petition for the admittance, they select a qualifying meet where a total of 25 have to be shown (five of each; Cock, Hen, Cockerel, Pullet), and then they either accept it or not! It is really that simple.

The only problem will be the current ABA standard for splash wheaten is not good at all for the cockerel/cock. It references the red pyle, which leaves out any blue coloring. Of course, the blue coloring is one of the more striking visuals of the SW male, in my opinion. The pullet description is just fine. So what we are going to have to do is propose a description change with the ABA. We actually have to do that before we petition the APA anyway, since there can be no conflict of the description between the two. Once we all have agreed to a proposed description of the male, we will begin the communication with the ABA.

Other than that, that's it! The APA recommends petitioning both at the same time, so that is the plan right now.

Peggy, are you on facebook? We have a Splash Wheaten page. As we hatch out and raise up SW's, I am hoping for more and more pictures to come in. As we get closer to the exhibition season, I hope to have at least a couple shows coordinated with as many SW's as we can get, both LF and bantam. I believe we all will be able to decide on a proposed description by the end of this coming season after comparing the cockerels and cocks from this year. I don't plan to cull any males unless it is obvious Ameraucana defects in type or personality.
Proclaim Yahweh's greatness with me! Let us exhale His name together! Psalm 34:3

Temple DaSilva

Re: Bantam Splash Wheatens --> Self Blues?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 12:19:33 PM »

I have a copy of the ABA by-laws, and Jean also communicated with them directly just to verify the simplicity of it. Really, all you have to do is petition for the admittance, they select a qualifying meet where a total of 25 have to be shown (five of each; Cock, Hen, Cockerel, Pullet), and then they either accept it or not! It is really that simple.

Other than that, that's it! The APA recommends petitioning both at the same time, so that is the plan right now.

So if the APA recommends petitioning both (LF and bantams), was that done for Self Blue?

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 01:43:41 PM »
No, it wasn't.  For several reasons, but primarily because we don't have sufficient numbers of bantam breeders of the self-blue, that have also been members of APA for five years, that can sign the affidavit. 

We also don't have sufficient numbers of them at the shows to justify the $300 additional fees.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Temple DaSilva

Bantam Self Blues
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 12:28:44 PM »
We also don't have sufficient numbers of them at the shows to justify the $300 additional fees.

Hmmmm... sounds like a chicken-and-egg sort of thing to me.  ;-) 

Not sufficient numbers of them at the shows because they aren't recognized or not recognized because there aren't sufficient numbers of them at the shows?

While I don't have the five year APA membership under my belt, I am happy to enter shows (I'm in the East) if anyone else wants to up the numbers... assuming that helps the cause.

Sarah Meaders

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 01:11:05 PM »
I hope Jean will correct me if I am wrong, since she has actually contacted the ABA about admitting new varieties. But according to the By-Laws of the ABA, the qualifying meet does have to have at least five ABA members exhibiting the minimum 25, but there isn't any rule that the members have to be members for a minimum number of years.

And also as long as I understand correctly, this "petition" for the qualifying meet with the ABA can be sent sometime after the APA petition. In fact, you would have to request it AFTER you are notified of the qualifying meet dates and locations by the APA in order to apply for the joint meet.

I have no dealings whatsoever with the self-blue effort, but perhaps if Temple and other bantam breeders get going preparing now, by the time the qualifying meets are scheduled, there very well may be enough?

Or am I in complete left field here?? Someone shut me up if I am! lol!

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Re: Bantam Self Blues
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 05:55:29 PM »

Hmmmm... sounds like a chicken-and-egg sort of thing to me.  ;-) 

Not sufficient numbers of them at the shows because they aren't recognized or not recognized because there aren't sufficient numbers of them at the shows?

While I don't have the five year APA membership under my belt, I am happy to enter shows (I'm in the East) if anyone else wants to up the numbers... assuming that helps the cause.

LOL...kinda

I don't want to hijack Sarah's thread here with talk about the self-blue project..but you gotta have the numbers at the shows and the breeders, with APA membership, before you can even petition the APA.  As of right now, we don't have sufficient numbers in the bantams to make that petition. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com