Author Topic: Ameraucana breed standards  (Read 2435 times)

Ameraucana breed standards
« on: May 15, 2006, 12:29:26 PM »
Hi,

I\'m new to this forum. I have 19 silver LF birds, about 5 weeks old now that I got from John Blehm.

Based on how they are feathering out, I think I have 8 pullets and 11 roosters. (Not a bad ratio, 3 were extra and all of them lived, so 1/2 of what I bought are pullets). With all these boys I\'d like to get a copy of the breed standard so I can figure out what I am looking for as these guys get older and I need to narrow down the flock.

I\'m in Michigan, just outside of Ann Arbor. I have a small 5 acre hobby farm and also raise angora goats. If anyone needs a LF silver rooster soon, I\'ll have some available   ;)

Thanks,

Melanie Pitts
www.macgregorhollow.com

Suz

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 01:46:20 PM »
Melanie,

Welcome to the ABC Forum!

Click on \"Ameraucana Myths and Facts\" at http://groups.msn.com/ABCShareingPlace for a brief description.  If you are looking for more information, the American Standard of Perfection, color version, is available from the A.P.A. http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/ It sells for $48 plus $5 S/H.  It gives a detailed description of the breed standards for everything from beaks, to wing carriage, to leg and feet color and color pictures (paintings) of many of the varieties.  I have gotten my information from this book, as well as the Ameraucana Breeders Club handbooks (current handbook included in A.B.C. membership), and from reading various messages/posts on this forum and the ABC Shareing Place which discuss breed standards and the correct color to work toward.  

I have also learned a lot from looking at photos that others have posted.  On this forum, click on ABC Home Page, then Photos.  There are some member\'s photo albums at ABC ShareingPlace -- click on Pictures.  And, photos of most of the recognized varieties are available on The \"Color\" Pages of ABCShareing Place.

Susie

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 02:35:55 PM »
Susie,

Thanks for all the information.  Pictures are a great way to compare and help to give a visual to written descriptions. I\'m not quite ready to invest in the APA book, but an ABC membership and handbook look good.

Melanie