Author Topic: Hardware Store chicks  (Read 8338 times)

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Hardware Store chicks
« on: March 05, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »
The Hardware store chicks are beginning to show up now.  So be aware when you see folks buying chicks.  We know that the lot labeled as Ameraucanas/Araucanas are not true AMs.  Most of the sales clerks don't know the difference, and i expect don't care either.  "That's what the hatchery told us they were" is all that they know to say.  Be Kind.  Most folks don't really care until they start to show and that's usually when the good judges will point out their errors.   

Also, a friend decided to get RIR pullets from TSC a few years back.  After he had fed them for about 5 months, he asked me to come help him decide which were male and female.  He had a 8 chicks and they were growing into nice big males.  Mistake perhaps?   
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
Re: Hardware Store chicks
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 10:21:27 PM »
After being bombarded by AM breeders from various social media outlets. TSC sent me and others a message stating that they are aware of the differences between Easter Egger and true Ameraucanas. The request for new signs saying "Easter Egger" have been approved for printing and a should be on the way to their stores.

If that will happen this chick season, who knows.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 11:54:43 PM »
Ceasar,  I have not been to their stores this month to see what they are offering.  I don't know who they order chicks from but hope they have corrected their information.  Any effort such as the correct signage and maybe a bit of employee education will go a long ways to help lead the new poultry owner in a more informed direction.  And they do usually offer a variety of commercial layers.  And that is all most folks really are interested in keeping anyway until they realize the difference between the commercial stock and a true breed stock.  Then often they want to investigate further and pursue good quality birds and they eventually find stock from a breeder.  Some of the best breeders have been down a similar path.  I just like to have others take an easier route.     
Don Cash

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »
After being bombarded by AM breeders from various social media outlets. TSC sent me and others a message stating that they are aware of the differences between Easter Egger and true Ameraucanas. The request for new signs saying "Easter Egger" have been approved for printing and a should be on the way to their stores.

If that will happen this chick season, who knows.

Wow!  Cesar, if that happens, you have done more to educate the unsuspecting public about hatchery/commercial birds than many others who have tried.

Good job!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 09:16:13 PM »
I agree that many people who are purchasing chicks at TSC and other outlets are only wanting chickens to produce eggs, something to entertain their children, or a trip down memory lane. As an educator, I see too many students purchasing chicks at TSC and other outlets as projects. If their project is to raise a set of meat chicks or egg layers, it is all good. For those people, I am happy that they have their backyard flock and are pleased with them.

If they plan on showing their chickens at a Poultry Show, it is not all good. I teach Agricultural Science and have for years. I teach Advanced Animal Science in High School. My students are competitive in showing breeding heifers, market steers, breeding gilts, market hogs, breeding goats, market goats, breeding lambs, market lambs, broilers, roasters, and breeding poultry. Some of my students are limited as to what they can raise and show due to finances, space, and/or residential restrictions. I think that chickens are great projects for any student, but especially the ones with limitations.

Because I breed and show chickens, my students have access to anything that I breed. I also have made many friends on the show road that are always ready and willing to share their genetics with my students. I don't claim to have the best of everything or to know everything, but I have connections in the poultry world that are always ready and willing to help in anyway that they can.

The sad thing is that the only poultry class we had in college was limited to one semester. In that one semester we learned about eggs, hatching, brooding, and slaughtering poultry. Everything that I do know about showing poultry and different breed standards was learned at the poultry shows from other breeders and exhibitors. Many of the Agricultural Science teachers in the classrooms have no experience. Their students are getting the experience of raising chickens from chicks, probably gathering eggs, keeping records on their expenses and income, and maybe getting the experience of traveling to and competing in a poultry show. Many of their show experiences are not good ones. Not because they did not work hard and not because they did not do everything that they were supposed to, but because the bird that they entered in the show does not come close to meeting the Breed Standard. Many of those students are heart broken and/or discouraged when they are disqualified.

I try to visit with junior exhibitors, their Ag. teachers, and/or 4H leaders at the shows. Many times, I find out that they bought their chicks at the local retail store and believed that they were buying the breed that was on the sign. Why would they believe anything different? The Ag. teacher or 4H leader saw the bird and believed it was what the sign said it was when they bought it.

I try to visit with other Ag teachers at our State Teachers' Conference every year and educate them on the fact that "a chicken is not just a chicken". I try to speak at as many 4H meetings as I am invited to in different areas. I ask that if you have time, you try to visit with your local Ag. teacher and/or 4H leader. We are always searching for outside speakers to help with educating our students and/or members. I think that you will find it a blessing to work with some of these young people and may be able to mentor someone how has nobody to work with at home.

Just Saying,
Ernie Haire
Poultry 2XL
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:21:31 PM by Ernie Haire »

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 10:40:21 AM »
I teach Agricultural Science and have for years. I teach Advanced Animal Science in High School. My students are competitive in showing breeding heifers, market steers, breeding gilts, market hogs, breeding goats, market goats, breeding lambs, market lambs, broilers, roasters, and breeding poultry. Some of my students are limited as to what they can raise and show due to finances, space, and/or residential restrictions. I think that chickens are great projects for any student, but especially the ones with limitations.

Ernie, I'm looking to get into agricultural teaching myself when I finish up at the University of Arizona. I would love to pick your brain or get any advice from you.

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 08:42:14 PM »
Call or contact me anytime. Teaching Agricultural Science is a very rewarding job. It is challenging, but worth every minute of it. I enjoy working with all of my students and watching them grow as productive citizens. Agricultural Science teaches young people more life skills than most people realize. Not all of my students are going to be farmers or ranchers when they get grown. It is my goal to see that they have the skills required to be productive citizens and be successful in life.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire
Poultry 2XL
Arp, Texas

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 09:14:17 AM »
It's that season again.  Enjoy those chicks at the Feed Store.  But realize the people working there are only selling what has been shipped to them.  They probably don't know much about chickens except that they enjoy seeing them scratch around their horse barns.     
Don Cash

Temple DaSilva

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 11:20:28 AM »
It's that season again.  Enjoy those chicks at the Feed Store.  But realize the people working there are only selling what has been shipped to them.  They probably don't know much about chickens except that they enjoy seeing them scratch around their horse barns.   
... and Tractor Supply.  They recently sent an email with their new online chick catalog, including "Americanas".  Interestingly enough, they also list Easter Eggers as a completely separate breed.  Hopping up on my soapbox, I did an online review of the "Americanas", giving them one star and pointing out that based on the photos, these weren't Ameraucanas.  I got this response from Tony at Hoover Hatchery, who I suppose supplies TSC's online chick ordering service:

Response from Tony:
Tractor Supply does not suggest to sell Americaunas but rather Americana which is a common generic trade name for a colored egg bird.

ACK!  I responded directly to TSC telling them that Hoover Hatchery is duping TSC's customers since folks can research Ameraucanas and probably are expecting at the least a blue egg layer.  Several of the reviews have indicated the birds shipped produced brown eggs.  I also said that TSC has the ultimate responsibility for accuracy in what they are selling.  We'll see if I get a response.  I was glad to see I wasn't the only Ameraucana advocate on there trying to set the record straight.  Maybe if a whole bunch of us go give them one star for that "breed", they'll get the message and lump them over with their Easter Eggers.  Enough single stars will pull the rating down pretty quick!  Here's the link:  https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/live-baby-chicks-ducks-turkeys

-Temple in CT

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 06:47:51 PM »
Temple,  Thanks for looking into that, I have not heard of this hatchery.  If you look at their website they offer a good number of types of chicks.  I would have to commend them for using pictures of the actual chicken stock so people can at least see what they are likely to raise.  I had one friend who bought RIR pullet chicks from TSC a few years back and after feeding them for 4 months, found them All to be males.  He was a little frustrated. Could have been another hatchery that year too.  You can read some of the other reviews too but people who buy in the store likely do not do this research.
       The hatchery description from the website:
Every backyard flock needs a colored egg layer. Our Americana will give you an assortment of colors from turquoise, to olive to light brown. The Americana breed comes from the Araucana and Ameraucana mix and has different color plumage variations. It is because of this genetic combination that our birds are not meant for exhibition. APPROX. 240 MEDIUM EGGS/YEAR | EGG COLORS: BLUE, GREEN, LIGHT BROWN | MATURE WT: MALE 5.5 LBS. FEMALE 4.5 LBS.
Don Cash

Temple DaSilva

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 05:53:34 PM »

The hatchery description from the website:
Every backyard flock needs a colored egg layer. Our Americana will give you an assortment of colors from turquoise, to olive to light brown. The Americana breed comes from the Araucana and Ameraucana mix and has different color plumage variations. It is because of this genetic combination that our birds are not meant for exhibition. APPROX. 240 MEDIUM EGGS/YEAR | EGG COLORS: BLUE, GREEN, LIGHT BROWN | MATURE WT: MALE 5.5 LBS. FEMALE 4.5 LBS.

Interesting, Don.  That's not the description TSC is using....

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 09:26:47 PM »
our hardware store had one tub of their chicks listed as Araucana this weekend.  I glanced in to see the usual mixture of different color striped chicks and all that I saw had tails.  No telling where this crop came from or if they were a straight run selection. I dared not ask. 

I noticed the TSC website has a few low reviews but more good reviews as well.  I've never tried to herd cats but I have grand children.  The Myth of Sisyphus comes to mind, smh.   
Don Cash

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 06:50:54 AM »
I went to TSC Saturday for chicken feed. As I strolled by the chicks and ducklings, a floor person came up to me and really wanted me to buy some. I politely said "NO" but she kept insisting I should buy some. I told her I was there to buy feed for my already birds at home. They must be desperate to move them out! I admit that the weather here has not been great for the hatchlings. COLD,SNOW, AND HIGH WINDS! I'm still starting to gather a few eggs though and hope to fire up the incubator by the end of this week. Yes Susan some of the eggs are from your trio of Blacks purchased from the 2017 National show. Those southern pullets were some of the first to start laying in this cold northern weather. I guess that they have adjusted well!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:54:44 AM by Birdcrazy »
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 08:48:57 AM »
Gordon - I can't wait to see what you get out of that trio!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com