Author Topic: Ameraucana Hatching Eggs  (Read 5299 times)

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Ameraucana Hatching Eggs
« on: April 21, 2016, 08:27:04 PM »
We have the incubators full again and about to get caught up on shipping hatching eggs. We are offering hatching eggs on Ebay again this year. We have sold eggs on Ebay for years with little to no trouble. I would like to say  no trouble, but we did have that one lady who bought 10+ eggs, received 12 eggs, and only hatched nine chicks. She was not a happy customer and we never did get her satisfied. Oh well, Momma told me that there would be people like that.

Ebay is the most convenient way that we have found to sell our hatching eggs. We have different varieties of different breeds and keeping up with orders is more than I care to deal with this time of year. I am a full time teacher and stay busy working at our Church. By listing eggs on Ebay for five day auctions, I can just click and ship. I realize that this sounds lazy to some people. Until I get retired, this is the way that works for me.

We list hatching eggs from our Black over Black pen and Blue over Blue pen every couple of weeks. We have  listed hatching eggs from our White over White pen a few times this year. We have also just put a pen of Black pullets down under Splash males. We are checking the fertility on that pen before listing eggs from that pen. We hope to be able to hatch and list eggs from that pen in a week or two.

All of our listings on Ebay state that they are from Poultry 2XL and our user name is xlboergoats. We are not difficult to find if you are searching for hatching eggs. We do not offer eggs every week from every breed or variety, but we do offer hatching eggs from something every week.  If you let us know that you are searching for a particular breed or variety, we will be happy to let you know when we list the eggs that might interest you.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire
Poultry 2XL
Arp, Texas

DeWayne Edgin

Re: Ameraucana Hatching Eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:44:51 PM »
Hello Ernie. Can you please tell me what the chicks down color is on your line of Whites? Thanks.

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 09:50:11 PM »
Most of our White Ameraucana chicks hatch with smokey down. We have bred and shown White Marans for several years before the Ameraucanas and prefer our smokey colored chicks. It is just a personal preference, but it works for us.

Thanks,
Ernie Haire
Poultry 2XL
Arp, Texas

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 09:56:20 PM »
Ok thanks.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 08:37:12 AM »
Ernie, 

If we could get a 75% hatch, we would shout "Praise the Lord!"  all the way to the PO to deliver the chicks!  Might even be able to supply a few more chick orders!  Momma told you correctly!!!
  Keep up the good work of sharing the Ameraucanas with others!  Thanks again for selling us two white pullets!
Paul Smith

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 10:49:06 AM »
Ernie, 

If we could get a 75% hatch, we would shout "Praise the Lord!"  all the way to the PO to deliver the chicks!  Might even be able to supply a few more chick orders!  Momma told you correctly!!!

Amen Paul, at least you are living in a world of reality not fantasy! I always wondered if those who say they get 95%-100% is calculated different than mine. I always calculate on the number of eggs that went into the incubator, not number of eggs left in the incubator after candling and discarding clears. I have on occasion in bantams hatched 15 0ut of 16 or so (I keep my breeding pens separate in the hatcher) but that is not the norm, especially in LF. I like you, would be ecstatic to get 75% of the original eggs put in the incubator to hatch.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:51:16 AM by Birdcrazy »
Gordon Gilliam

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 11:22:20 AM »
I gave up candling eggs a few years ago. It takes time to candle a bunch and i just would rather not be opening my incubator all of the time. So when i hatch i can calculate my hatch rates fairly close. I do open unhatched eggs to see how far they made it. If a varietey of Ameraucanas doesn`t hatch at all, then i start looking for the problem. Or if there is a large amount of a varietey that didn`t hatch, i will look closer to see which pen they are from and try to see what is going on. This year my Silvers aren`t hatching as well as they should. I narrowed it down to a trio that i am using. A couple of years ago i set 12 eggs from one single hen to incubate and all 12 hatched. That was the very only time that i had 100% hatch rate. I never expect good hatch rates on shipped eggs either so if i get half of what was shipped to me to hatch, im happy.  :)