Author Topic: Weird Egg  (Read 4727 times)

DeWayne Edgin

Weird Egg
« on: April 27, 2016, 09:41:04 PM »
Has anyone ever saw an egg like this one? It is from my Large fowl Buff pen.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Egg
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 10:11:06 PM »
I've seen some miss shaped eggs but it seems to be when the hens are stressed or scared by something.  But wow Dewayne, that one is pretty severe.  What have you been feeding those Buffs?  keep us posted on is she continues to have difficulty. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 11:28:16 PM »
I've raised potatoes that look like that, but never had an egg like that one. Are you going to try to hatch it to see what comes out?
Gordon Gilliam

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 04:41:38 PM »
Don i always feed this flock raiser and they are used to getting it. Gordan i am not going to incubate it. My Buffs lay a fairly small to medium egg but i never got an egg like this before.  ???

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 09:39:41 PM »
DeWayne, I was kidding you about the feed.  I expect the egg was a result of some stress.  Hopefully that you don't see that type of egg again.  I hope the hen is doing well.

But it reminded me that last year I switched the young birds to a flock raiser after about 8-12 wks of Starter and Grower.  They picked up weight nicely.  Even my buff LF seemed to fill out faster.  But that was the only year that I had trouble with a few of the pullets starting to lay and suffering prolapse.  I tried to work with the pullets but shortly lost them anyway.  I can't say that it was the feed for sure.  The feed I was using was not the brand you posted.  But I did look at the feed info and they recommend flock builder for meat birds.  Their recommendation for egg layers indicated using the S&G up until point of lay.  The fact that our flocks are dual purpose is a bit off their charts.  But they do list the S&G for backyard layers and ornamental flocks too.  I might use some of it this year if I grow out some cockerels but I will be careful not to feed that to all of the growing pullets by itself.  Again it was not the same brand.
     The info I mention is at the bottom of this webpage.
       http://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/flock-raiser/
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 10:43:14 PM »
I can`t rember how long i have been using this feed but i posted on here a few years ago about a white hen that wouldn`t give me fertile eggs. I switched to this feed back then and i used it ever since. Maybe i can search the post and see what year it was.