Author Topic: Here we go again?  (Read 5767 times)

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Here we go again?
« on: August 05, 2016, 04:49:34 PM »
Has anyone experienced the shock that I got yesterday going to the Coop to buy feed? Prices had been fairly stable since last fall. Mostly down in price but sometimes maybe up 15-25 cents a bag. Yesterday when she gave me the total for my purchase, I said "Can that be right?" The price on 17% layer went up $.95 a 50# bag. It had been $13.30 a bag, now it was $14.25 a bag. I asked did soybeans go up that much lately? They fumbled around and said no, something about the way freight and fuel surcharges were being handled. This did not make much sense to me as gas in our area has been declining for the past several weeks. Gas was around the $2.29 a gal price 2 months ago and has now dropped to under $2.00 all over our area the past 2 weeks. Just wondered what others were experiencing around the country on poultry feed.             
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Re: Here we go again?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 05:32:56 PM »
Has anyone experienced the shock that I got yesterday going to the Coop to buy feed? Prices had been fairly stable since last fall. Mostly down in price but sometimes maybe up 15-25 cents a bag. Yesterday when she gave me the total for my purchase, I said "Can that be right?" The price on 17% layer went up $.95 a 50# bag. It had been $13.30 a bag, now it was $14.25 a bag. I asked did soybeans go up that much lately? They fumbled around and said no, something about the way freight and fuel surcharges were being handled. This did not make much sense to me as gas in our area has been declining for the past several weeks. Gas was around the $2.29 a gal price 2 months ago and has now dropped to under $2.00 all over our area the past 2 weeks. Just wondered what others were experiencing around the country on poultry feed.           

I haven't seen an increase in chicken feed, but my dog food (Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice) went up $2.00 a 40# bag.  Thank goodness I don't have as many dogs as I have chickens!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 05:56:46 PM »

I haven't seen an increase in chicken feed, but my dog food (Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice) went up $2.00 a 40# bag.  Thank goodness I don't have as many dogs as I have chickens!
[/quote]

Thank goodness I only have a Chihuahua!
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 07:02:15 PM »
One 100# Lab, one 60# Lab (he's nearly 14 and losing muscle...too fast :( ), and one "rescue" italian greyhound mix that is my husband's dog...she just lets me feed her.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 09:42:13 PM »
One 100# Lab, one 60# Lab (he's nearly 14 and losing muscle...too fast :( ), and one "rescue" italian greyhound mix that is my husband's dog...she just lets me feed her.

WOW! Tote those Bags of Dog Food!

My Chihuahua was a rescue dog too. In Fact a double rescue dog. I got him from the Lincoln rescue where they had obtained him from the route of being raised in 2 puppy mills. and then the 2nd rescue, he rescued me! He was so abused and scared of his own shadow. The night I got him, he would run from anything that moved. We lost him and couldn't find him. Finally found him in my daughter's dog's pet bed filled with stuffed animals. He had buried himself clear under all of the stuffed toys. It took a long time for him to trust me enough to come up on his own and sit on my lap. I've had him for over 5 years now and what an adventure it has been. Now when I sit down you don't have to look for him, he's already there on my lap. Spoiled, no way. Well yes maybe I am!
Gordon Gilliam

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 11:55:25 AM »
I have been using the same feed for several years now and the price stayed the same for most of this time.  A few weeks ago the price jumped about $1.20/ 50#.  When I asked the vendor they said that they did not know why.  You are right about the gas/shipping costs.  The price for feed never really lowered from when we were paying $4 per gallon for gas.  And I hadn't heard that corn or soy had been a problem for the year.  So I just guessed that the hardware store was just deciding that they needed more money for their efforts.  A few weeks back the cashier asked if I had an account with them.  She said they gave a discount to account holders.  But then she said that feed was not included because there wasn't enough profit on feeds. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9