Author Topic: Current Pen  (Read 8170 times)

John Scruggs

Current Pen
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:41:58 AM »
I converted my wife's K9 kennel (he's an inside dog and has never used the kennel) into my chicken pen.  I had some extra metal roofing so I wrapped the sides and put a second, flat, predator proof roof on it.  It's in a shady part of my back yard.  My chicks are 5 1/2 weeks old and it is very hot here in Georgia so I moved them outside yesterday.  I had an EE trio in there that I gave to a friend.  Before I placed them, I cleaned out all the old hay, scrubbed the floors, and put up the boards in the corners and along the bottom to keep predators from possibly being able to reach in through the cracks.  I am adding a dust bath at some point this week...and a roosting stick as they are already flying around.  In addition, I am making a 5 gallon bucket feeder to see if I can cut down on food waste (my EE's were horrible food wasters...even with the 'food saving' PVC pipe feeder.)  When I was at Susan's getting the eggs, I really liked her nipple drinkers so I will probably be adding one of those soon as well.  Suggestions welcome.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:07:39 AM by John Scruggs »

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Re: Current Pen
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 09:19:35 AM »
Nice set-up, John!  I think they'll do very well there.

Those nipple waterers I use in my grow out pen are called Hen Hydrators and I got them at Tractor Supply.  They have absolutely been the best thing I've added to my grow out pens, other than the roof. The water stays clean and it's very easy to fill them.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »
Very Nice and looks like a great set of chicks too.  I hope that they will grow out well for you.  I think you have plenty of room for them to grow our for a while. I like the metal sheets along the bottom.  I think it really helps to keep them calm if family or neighbor dogs come around.  And this ground contact is the place that predators are most likely to do damage too.  If you have the time to put in a dropping board with the perch it will save you lots of bedding on the floor.  And you have room to build some upper coops along the sides for separate conditioning or isolation groups if you decide in the future.  I'd love to have a couple dozen of pens like these. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 12:32:02 PM »
I'd love to have a couple dozen of pens like these. 

Don, Are you drooling again?
Gordon Gilliam

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »
HA!  Gordon, as I've said many times, I think some of us keep birds just so we can keep on building more and different kinds of pens.  I guess that's why I really like to see all of the creative ways people build their pens for different ages of birds.  Susan promised me pictures of her new brooding pens.  I don't know what she has been doing, Joking!   smh
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 04:47:01 PM »
Susan promised me pictures of her new brooding pens.  I don't know what she has been doing, Joking!   smh

I can't imagine either. I don't think she's into fishing so she's probably not at the local pond. Maybe just sitting back relaxing with her feet up in a comfortable chair!  HA HA HA! That would be the day!
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 05:22:50 PM »
Not into fishing?  Are you kidding me?  Some of the best days of my life were spent on a pier, on the ground under a shade tree next to a pond, or on a little 22' runabout we used to have zipping around Galveston Bay!

I know I promised pictures, but I want everything done first and we still have two more coops to build, and the new hatcher/incubator building to get up.  Then, there's landscaping and finish painting...

But, I've been kinda lazy lately and haven't gotten anything done out there in weeks! ;)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 05:43:13 PM »
Susan the fisherwoman, what is the biggest fish you have caught? (Barry doesn't count) Do you have pictures to prove the catch?
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 05:51:52 PM »
Hmmm, when I used to go king fishing in the Gulf, back in the 70s, nobody thought to get pictures. 

But, on our second honeymoon (2004), Barry and I were fishing in Mobile Bay and I landed a 56" Crevalle Jack.  He was almost as tall as me.  I do have pictures of him, but I'll have to find them - hopefully, they didn't go down with the boat in Hurricane Ike in '08.  We couldn't get a weight on him, though, as this was just after the hurricane and the local bait shop's weigh station had been decimated by the storm.  Barry thought he might have been a record breaker, but we'll never know. :( LOL
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 05:56:39 PM »
OK, I yield. I won't even bring up my largest catch. You beat me badly, pictures or no pictures!

Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 05:59:52 PM »
OK, I yield. I won't even bring up my largest catch. You beat me badly, pictures or no pictures!

Did we just hi-jack John's thread with fishing tales?  Oops, sorry John. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

John Scruggs

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 10:42:05 AM »
No problem, I am an avid fisherman...well, was until I sold my boat last year, but another one is in my future.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 10:46:23 AM »
No problem, I am an avid fisherman...well, was until I sold my boat last year, but another one is in my future.

I'd be willing to trade eggs or chicks for a fishing trip next spring!  LOL
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

John Scruggs

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 02:36:44 PM »
Most of my fishing is freshwater and local.  Crappie and catfish is what I go after 95% of the time because they are delicious.  The other 5% is inshore, either cast netting for mullet or casting for specks.  You are welcome aboard!

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 05:09:24 PM »
I love crappie, bluegill, perch...pan fries!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm