Author Topic: Chick Down  (Read 5004 times)

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Chick Down
« on: June 17, 2016, 08:24:03 PM »
Would like to see pictures of different color represented by their day old chick down not excluding colors not recognized as Ameraucanas as well.
Harry Shaffer

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Chick Down
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 08:01:06 AM »
Harry,  Are you looking for groups of chicks or some different views other than those single chicks shown on the Gallery pictures?  I don't have any more chicks for this year.  Maybe some others took pictures of their hatches earlier this year.         

Harry, how were your hatches for this season?   Did you get a good bunch of candidates for the fall shows?
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »
Don,  I was thinking about somehting that would show the beginner if they hatched the proper down color for the chicks to cull the ones that would create problems for them later like:
E/E Black
E/e Black
E/E^R Black  ect

Same with the Whites ect other colors

Hatched a lot of average looking chicks till I rotated my males and now I have the ones that clique much better but sort of late in the season.  Finally got my lavenders back on tract like they use to be before I lost the best in 2008
Harry Shaffer

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 11:23:07 PM »
Harry,  Glad you are getting more what you are looking for in the hatches now in the new matings.  I am curious what is it in a chick that you look for, what you use to determine at an early age which chicks are better?

I Know that many threads here have discussed the phenotype of different colors and relevant aspects of the perceived underlying genetics.  It would be very helpful to have threads for different colors to discuss the chick down, and share their experiences with their lines and photographs.  This could help people to determine earlier which chicks to keep and grow out for the year.  I don't have Black or White, nor am I a very good photographer.    But maybe some of the others that breed these colors will jump in to discuss and show images with their experience in this effort.
Don Cash

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 08:51:30 AM »
Don,  I don;t breed Buffs and just got a few wheatens this year but they say there is genetic differences in the ones that have spots on their heads and the ones that don;t that are clear.
Harry Shaffer

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 08:41:12 AM »
I had heard that, as well, so decided to track it last year.  I tagged five chicks that had the spot on their head and five chicks that did not.  These were all wheaten/blue wheaten and were from the group I ordered from Paul Smith last year.

Of the five that had the dot, 3 were cockerels and 2 were pullets and, if I remember correctly, 4 were blue wheaten and 1 wheaten.  There was no correlation between the dots on their head and color or sex that I could see.  Of course, 5 is a very low sample number for any type of statistical research, but I would have expected to see some type of consistency, if that block dot meant something.

I think it just means that the chick has a block dot on its head. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 10:33:48 AM »
Regarding the Wheaten chicks, The old thought was that the chicks had to be completely free of color in order to be true Wheatens.  Anything that had color was considered a mis-colored chick and would produce a mis-colored adult.  But there were lines that hatched with spots and or stripes on their head and back that grew out to be nicely colored, with very little black stripping in the male hackles.  So the point was made that the lines could be different, have different colored chicks, and still produce good colored adults.  Studying and knowing your line, means you can reasonably make early assumptions.  The beauty of this knowledge is the ability to know what to expect from the chick down and be able to make decisions earlier rather than later.  If you bring in new stock, you introduce unknowns that will cause this knowledge to be upset/changed. And the breeder again has to question the tools that they have used in the past and begin over again.       

But also I think in understanding chick down early in the process you can begin to make assumptions about the genetics as Harry is discussing with Blacks/blues.  If you get chicks from your blacks that are all ranges of patterns, penguin colored, more solid black and everything in between, then you likely have a mixture of E/E^R genes working in your breeders.  You will get a variety of colored chicks and will not be able to reliably predict the likely result.  If all of your chicks hatch in one pattern, then you have a much better chance of understanding the underlying genes at play.  And this helps the breeder in making decisions with the line.       

BTW Harry,  I am glad that you are finally making the progress in your line again this year.  I know its been a long road back from the predators destruction.  What do you look for in the chicks from your line? 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:38:29 AM by Don »
Don Cash