Author Topic: Proper pea comb  (Read 3538 times)

John Nyquist

Proper pea comb
« on: June 20, 2016, 05:31:02 PM »
Good afternoon everyone. I'm needing help determining whether my black cockerel has a proper pea comb. It looks a bit too high
and pointed to me, especially when compared to my blue cockerel. Both came from the same hatch and I had wanted to use them
both in different coops but I just don't have warm fuzzies about that black roo's comb. Any advice?

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Proper pea comb
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 05:44:34 PM »
John,   The black male's photo is a bit out of focus, but it appears to me that the middle row of the comb is almost a single comb.  Combs are tough to get right and sometimes and can go thru a generation or two of problems.  I have not seen one that shows a single comb integrated with the pea comb.  The Pea Comb and Rose comb combination seems to show issues first.  And the Single comb should show separately without evidence of the Rose/Pea combs. 

I would not use him if I had options.  But if he is the best you have, then try a small hatch with a female with a really nice tight comb. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 07:16:45 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about that comb.  Yep, it is a bit big in the middle, but combs tend to grow larger in warmer climates.  All you people raising birds in the south will have birds with bigger combs.  It is natures way to help cool the bird when it is hot.

If you do have a better bird use it though.

In the show ring the comb is only worth one point unless the comb is improper for the breed then it is a DQ.
Jean

John Nyquist

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 09:06:24 PM »
Thank you both for the advice and info. Very interesting about the combs in hot weather. I did not know that. Since I have choices I will just not use the black one. Thank you again for the quick and helpful responses