Author Topic: feeding program  (Read 4648 times)

faith valley

feeding program
« on: June 26, 2005, 02:43:21 PM »
I was wondering how everyone feeds their Ameraucanas.  If you all had any special systems or routines that you have found worked well.  What we do is:

* M-F suppliment the drinking water with ACID PAK
*Weekends put apple cider vinegar in the water
* 3-5 days a week we put a spritz of wheat germ oil on the feed and sprinkle a feed suppliment on the feed
* daily we toss oiled balck sunflower seeds and wild bird mix into the bedding to excersise the birds- scratching for the treats
* we usually feed a 20% game bird pellet

I would love to hear how everyone else feeds/ cares for  their birds; it is a wonderful way to learn new tricks of the trade.

~Patty~

feeding program
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 10:02:52 PM »
We use Oxine in the water.
20% chick feed.
Probiotics once a week on feed.
Black Oil and Safflower seeds for feather shine a couple of times a week.
Sprinkle supplements on food about once a week.
Time in the yard twice a week for each pen.
It seems to keep them happy and healthy. With the Japs fast rate of feather growth we have to feed a good protein so we do the same with the Ameraucanas.

Chari

feeding program
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 02:34:31 PM »
I use Purina Show Chow Broiler feed as it has a 22+% protien content and has extra oil in it. It keeps our birds well feathered, keeps up egg production and gives them a little more fat to keep warm without heat lamps during most of our winters. Even in the summer, our lows can be around 40 at night (I had frost get my tomatoes and potatoes yesterday). I also feed extra vitamins in the water one week out of every month and everyone gets yogurt and probiotics once a week. Oh, they also are free range in the summer and receive our table scraps. I do use Oxine in the water during the summer and mist the birds and their premises twice a month with it as well.
I have to keep in mind that we have alot of environmental stress factors to deal with as well as egg production, breeding, etc. We do have at least a 40F degree swing between daytime and nighttime temps in the summer here and are below zero in Dec.  (And you all thought Arizona was just hot and desert! :)  ) The better I feed the birds, the healthier they stay.
Oh, they also get some scratch, but that is mostly as \"candy\" when I work with them or call them in for the night - I don\'t figure it in for any portion of their protien, fat, etc. level.

Kathy

Oh...I make sure they have fresh water at all times and have free access to ground oyster shells as the Show Chow Broiler does not have enough calcium to fill the hens needs.