Author Topic: Junior Awards  (Read 7603 times)

Hannah Brush

• Junior Master Exhibitor
    • View Profile
Junior Awards
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:40:35 PM »
Hi, I wanted to discuss a topic about junior awards to work towards. As of now juniors only have one tiltle to work towards in the shows. That title is know as the Junior Master Exhibitor award and it consists of 100 points, but when we pass our 100 points we have nothing to work towards and have no goal in the junior show anymore. I don't want to go to the open shows to earn points if I dont have to. I'm suggesting that we should be able be able to add more titles or awards for juniors to work for.
Thanks
--Hannah

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Junior Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:22:24 AM »
Sounds like a good idea.  What other titles do you think might work to entice more folks to show in the Junior category?   Any other Juniors have any ideas?  Paul, how many more years is Matthew able to show as a junior?
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:29:21 AM »
Don't forget that we do have the Annual, District, and National High Point awards - for Juniors and Open classes.  These are cash awards.  Right now the awards are:

Annual High Point Awards - Open winner - $100, Junior winner - $50

Annual High Point Awards by District - Open - $35, Junior - $20

National High Point Awards (points earned at the National) - Open - $50, Junior - $25

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:52:06 PM by Susan Mouw »
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:13:45 PM »
  Matthew has two more years.  Don't forget last year the board voted to keep a high points award for each district for both Juniors and open show exhibitors.  Then if I remember correctly there is a traveling plaque for high point open individual to be awarded (figured) from national meet to national meet.
Max Strawn has it now and was the first one to receive it!
Paul Smith

Hannah Brush

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »
Just a suggestion that a few of us juniors had was the grand master exhibitor award along with anything anybody wanted to add.
--Hannah

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:33:06 PM »
Hannah,   While we are discussing the awards, How many points do you think would be a good benchmark for the next level?   Do you think 300 is about right?   Any other Juniors that want to jump in?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:24:21 PM by Don »
Don Cash

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 06:00:38 PM »
There are some clubs and associations that do not offer anything for their Junior Members. I am glad that the Ameraucana Breeders Club recognizes our Junior Members by offering a Junior Master Breeder Title and Annual Awards at the District and the National level. I have a few questions that come to mind when thinking about more awards to entice Juniors to show anything. Will the points earned in the Junior Program be carried over to the points required to earn an Open Grand Master Exhibitor title? As a teacher, I spend time reminding my students that exhibiting anything is not all about "what's in it for me". There are people who show because they love the breed, the competition, and the fellowship.

I am not sure what we offer in the form of scholarships, but I had rather see us focus on awarding a scholarship or two to graduating seniors. We could spend the year raising money at some of the Club Meets and the Nationals to be used for scholarships. I would be willing to sell a set of hatching eggs, chicks, juveniles, or breeding pair to go toward a scholarship program.

I think that we and any association or club should be careful awarding the same title to Junior and Open exhibitors and/or breeders. I hope that I don't sound like a "party-pooper" or someone who doesn't support Junior exhibitors, but I have seen too many Junior State Champions and Junior National Champions advertised as State Champions and National Champions. It seems that the "Junior" gets dropped off of the titles in many advertisements. It may not be the advertisers' intention, but it is almost false advertisement when you are the owner or breeder of the State Champion or National Champion.

Just My Opinion,
Ernie Haire
Poutry 2XL

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 06:41:29 PM »
I love the idea of a scholarship!  I would really like to research that further.

Points earned as a Junior exhibitor in Junior classes do not transfer to Open points, once the Junior ages out of Juniors. A Junior may, however, earn points in Open classes that continue to accumulate - but only points earned in Open Classes.

For example, a Junior enters two birds - a black hen in open and a silver pullet in Juniors and is awarded best of variety in both classes.  The points earned by the silver pullet do not carry over after that Junior ages out of Junior, but the points earned in the Open Class will.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Hannah Brush

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 10:02:15 PM »
Don, that sounds great. I was just making a motion to get this all started, I will let you guys handle where you want to set the benchmarks and where you guys want to go with the awards. All these ideas are great though.

Ernie I also love the idea of a scholarship.
--Hannah

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 10:24:43 PM »
As an educator, I am involved in several different Scholarship programs. Some of them are as small as a couple of hundred dollars, but that money can help a student with a book or two and/or some fees. Some of the scholarships that I work with are endowments that can cover a student's tuition, books, fees, and housing for  four years.

I would be happy to donate items to be raffled and/or auctioned to help support a Scholarship Program. I think that there are many other breeders/exhibitors who would be willing to support raising funds at some of our ABC Special Meets. If not at the Special Meets, we could auction them online with the funds going to the Scholarship Program. We have an Auction Page on Facebook now.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire
Poultry 2XL

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 09:45:11 PM »
Has there been any attention about this topic from the board?
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »
It has been brought up in Board discussions via email, but I think it was tabled for further discussion until after we get past the holidays and all the end of year business of the Club.

I have a list of things I will be bringing up before the Board, after the first of the year.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 06:13:37 PM »
Just to bump this back up again.
Don Cash

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »
Has there been any attention about this topic from the board?

Yes, a proposal is before the Board now and it is under discussion, since around lunchtime today.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 01:23:09 PM »
Wow great news
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance