Author Topic: Straw color in Self Blue/Lavenders  (Read 4454 times)

Temple DaSilva

Straw color in Self Blue/Lavenders
« on: August 10, 2016, 02:08:50 PM »
I wanted to ask the collective knowledge base here for an opinion on what is causing this straw color in my bantam self blues/lavenders.  I just assumed it was later onset diluted red leakage but before I go all crazy getting rid of birds, I wanted to be sure others didn't think it could be sun damage or some other environmental factor.  I'm including a pic of this bird in January and now in August.  Pretty striking but not in a good way.  :-(

Thanks in advance,
-temple in CT

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Straw color in Self Blue/Lavenders
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 03:39:19 PM »
It's leakage.  Looks like he also has duck foot, left foot.

Temple DaSilva

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 03:53:51 PM »
It's leakage.  Looks like he also has duck foot, left foot.

Hi Clif,

I figured it had to be leakage as I have others from this hatch that are doing the same thing and aren't exposed to sun. 

As for the duck foot, just a wonky photo.  He's fine with his toes on that foot.  It's his feathers that are a bit of a challenge!

Thanks for your quick input.

-temple

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 08:32:50 AM »
  The old feathers will off color shortly before molt.  Wait until after he molts before doing anything drastic.  I've found that the self blues turn this straw yellow, blues turn red, and blacks turn a rusty brown, then they are good again after new plumage!  The main thing is that he didn't have any off color at 5 to 6 months of age-if so that would definitely be leakage and he should NOT be used as a breeder.  If the straw yellow starts developing at 10-11 months of age its old plumage getting ready for molt.
Paul Smith

Temple DaSilva

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 10:26:23 AM »
  The old feathers will off color shortly before molt.  Wait until after he molts before doing anything drastic.  I've found that the self blues turn this straw yellow, blues turn red, and blacks turn a rusty brown, then they are good again after new plumage!  The main thing is that he didn't have any off color at 5 to 6 months of age-if so that would definitely be leakage and he should NOT be used as a breeder.  If the straw yellow starts developing at 10-11 months of age its old plumage getting ready for molt.

Hi Paul,

THANK YOU! I just couldn't believe these guys could crash out like that but was prepared to let them go (one next Wednesday to a backyard flock).  I will hang on to them as they haven't started molting yet and hold out for some nice clear feathers to replace them.   I'll keep the group posted as, if that's the case, I think having three photos of this phenomenon over the different time points would be interesting.

Thanks again!
-Temple in CT

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 05:18:45 PM »
Temple, the pictures of the birds at the different stages of feather moult would be very helpful.  It would be nice to get another picture of the same male in profile to compare to the younger picture.  And If you have pictures of the females?  Are you seeing any yellowing of the feathers in the old hens this time of year?
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Temple DaSilva

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 09:53:10 AM »
Temple, the pictures of the birds at the different stages of feather moult would be very helpful.  It would be nice to get another picture of the same male in profile to compare to the younger picture.  And If you have pictures of the females?  Are you seeing any yellowing of the feathers in the old hens this time of year?

I haven't noticed a lot of feathers in any of the Self Blue pens yet but I'll try to get some better before and after molt pics of the two cock birds and a couple of the hens who are now showing a few slightly yellowed feathers in their backs.  It's much more prominent in the males and seems to be primarily in their hackles and saddles - where I expected it to appear as leakage - but it is appearing in random feathers on the females, too.  None of the younger birds from my Dec/Jan hatches are showing any discoloration whatsoever and they are housed together.

This will be very interesting to see how it unfolds. Now I'm hoping these boys go through a hard molt!

-temple