Author Topic: light markings on blue chicks  (Read 6594 times)

Lavender Sullivan

light markings on blue chicks
« on: September 21, 2016, 11:16:12 PM »
Hello. I got some BBS hatching eggs from a breeder here on the Ameraucana Breeder's Club breeder registry list. 100% were fertile and 100% of the eggs that made to lockdown hatched (total 10/12 hatched). The chicks are a week old now.

Most have yellow, green or willow feet and/or legs.
A few have light patches on the backs of their heads,
A few have light markings on their faces
One has a dark comb.

Are these faults? When should I decide that these chicks are not suitable for my breeding program?

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: light markings on blue chicks
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 07:36:05 AM »
I would not be too concerned with the light patches on the head and face of the young chicks. I have seen chicks with yellow on their chests feather out correctly if the yellow is not tremendously excessive. I would however be concerned with the yellow, green or willow legs. Leg color should be slate. I would band these chicks so you could reevaluate them as they grow out. I would also take pictures to compare changes to leg color as they age. Wheaten and Blue Wheaten chicks usually have flesh colored legs at hatching and mature out to a light slate color at maturity. I would not give up on the chicks at this age, but evaluate them as time goes on.
Gordon Gilliam

Lavender Sullivan

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 07:45:46 AM »
Thank you for your answer. I'll definitely keep a close eye on the leg color as they get older. What do you think about the dark color on the one chick's comb? Should I watch that one too or mark it as a cull right away? My only experience with dark color combs is from a half breed that I got last spring. It started out with a yellow comb that turned dark (almost black) after it's first molt. The Ameraucana chick in the picture hatched out with a dark comb. Is it safe to assume that it will only get darker over time? Thanks.

Lavender Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 08:03:31 AM »
Eight of the ten chicks are now tagged for having yellow, willow or greenish feet and/or legs. One of the two that aren't tagged is the chick with a dark comb. I really do hope at least some of the tagged chicks develop proper leg color.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 08:39:53 AM »
Lavender,  I agree with Gordon and would keep track of all of them to see how the birds grow and feather.  Each line of chickens can have  its own chick color to adult feathering tells.  That is one advantage in keeping a line pure.  You can learn a lot over time by knowing what you can expect from the chick coloring.  The blue color can range from dark to very light or even splash.  So you might watch how the lighter chicks grow out as well. 

The Wheaten variety does sometimes hatch out with yellow legs but quickly changes to a light slate.  The yellow legs are something to watch carefully in the Black and Blue varieties.  It probably indicates that the line is carrying the recessive yellow leg genes.  This can present as full yellow legs if both sexes carry the genes.
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Lavender Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 08:47:59 AM »
Thank you for your insight. I plan on photographing their progress weekly.

Any thoughts on the chick with a dark comb?

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 10:15:54 AM »
The comb is so small at this stage and the color may change significantly in the next couple of weeks.   Watch the comb and the skin around the eyes as they color up.  There are some AMs that tend to have a darker face and these can become a problem if used consistently.  You are correct in that the finished color should be red.  You don't want the "gypsy faced" or mulberry colored combs in AMs.  This might indicate that someone used Sumatra or another Asiatic cross in the past.  And watch for signs of double spurs if the combs are darker.  No guarantee but something to think about.     

I think you have a great idea of photographing these as they grow to see how they progress. If you keep the line separate, you will know next year what chick colors will likely produce your best results.  If you cross this line with another, then there will be other variables thrown into the mix and you will have to start over in your learning curve.   
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 10:18:03 AM »
  Eighty-three and one-third % hatching rate-very good for shipped eggs-especially this time of year!  Don't worry about the issues with the markings on the chicks face or white on their down.  It is a common thing for black, blue, and self blue chicks to have white/yellow on their bodies.  Most will have white feathers in their first set-especially wing primaries and secondary.  The majority will molt out.  Very few will grow white feathers in their 2nd & 3rd set.  The birds need to be about 6 months of age to be culled for the issue of white feathers.  The tip of dark feathers can be injured while it is in it's infant stage, causing it to leak out it's color, which will cause white.  If the white in wing feathers is inherited it will be symmetrical-on the two wings.

The feet/leg issue will need to be monitored very closely at about 5 months of age.  If the foot bottoms turn out to be yellow, the shanks turn out green/willow, the skin turns out to be yellow-they need to be culled.  A blue, black and brown-red can have either slate or black shanks.  This was for blacks only at the beginning and later changed to add blue and brown-red.  This was passed at a national meeting-either Frankenmuth, MI. 2006 or Portage, WI. in 2004.  I was the one who presented the legislation to add blues to be able to have either black shanks or slate-just like the blacks at that time.  The brown-red were amended also.

The dark comb at one week isn't an issue.  Check the face at 5 to 6 months of age.  If the face is black-called gypsy face-cull it.  We raised blacks for several years before ever experiencing a gypsy face.  We had to cull a few gypsy face for several years, then it disappeared.

I think the only things that should be culled at one day to one week of age are stubs, cross beak, off color-like a red spot on a black or blue, deformities like leg problems or crooked/curled toes, clean face-no muffs.

Give your chicks a chance (5-6 months) develop and breed from the best.  The main thing is ENJOY RAISING the CHICKS.
Paul Smith

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 10:52:42 AM »
Lavender, I agree with Don and Paul on their posting about coloration on newly hatched chicks, leg and comb color as well as the dark face (mulberry issue) later as the chicks mature. You were on the right track to bring up these issues, just sometimes people get hasty to cull chicks at too early of an age.
Gordon Gilliam

Lavender Sullivan

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 01:15:45 PM »
Thank you all so much! I want to breed good quality Ameraucanas and am eager to make the right choices for the breed. Thank you for all of your experience and advice.

Lavender Sullivan

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 01:34:14 PM »
I asked the breeder about her program and she said her BBS Ameraucanas come from different lines. She said that she's gotten word about one splash having red leakage out of hundreds hatched. I'll be keeping track of the chicks to see how they develop just for reference later on.