Author Topic: Blacks based on silver  (Read 6486 times)

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Blacks based on silver
« on: September 22, 2016, 12:45:52 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am in search of blacks that are based on silver. Can anyone help me? Thanks for your time.
Joshua 24:15

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Blacks based on silver
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 08:08:01 AM »
Lindsay,  I don't have blacks but they are probably the most popular color so you should be able to find some close by.  I am not sure if most people will know for certain if they have complete silver based line.  Most breeding blacks prefer Gold based lines.  Though some blue lines are supposedly based silver because it offers advantages for better blue color.  So those breeders might use a black bird from their Blue/Blue crosses to reinforce their matings.  But it still allows them to stay inside a silver based line.    I am curious, what would you be using this bird to accomplish?
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 09:46:05 AM »
  If I remember correctly silver based blacks will have slate shanks and gold based blacks will have black shanks.
Paul Smith

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:18:59 PM »
Lindsay,  I don't have blacks but they are probably the most popular color so you should be able to find some close by.  I am not sure if most people will know for certain if they have complete silver based line.  Most breeding blacks prefer Gold based lines.  Though some blue lines are supposedly based silver because it offers advantages for better blue color.  So those breeders might use a black bird from their Blue/Blue crosses to reinforce their matings.  But it still allows them to stay inside a silver based line.    I am curious, what would you be using this bird to accomplish?

Hi Don,

Thank you so much for your response. I am looking for blacks based on silver to use in my self blue/lavender pens. I have been doing a lot of research on the lavender color and the genetics behind it, particularly in regard to leakage. After speaking with a few breeders that have been working with the lavender color for several years, I have been encouraged to find blacks based on silver to use in those pens, as it is suspected that the straw colored (red) leakage that occurs in self blues/lavenders may be from using gold based black birds. Anyway, most of my research is hypothetical at this point, and based on the experience of others, but I'd like to put the hypothesis to work, and test it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 05:09:14 PM by Lindsay Helton »

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:20:27 PM »
  If I remember correctly silver based blacks will have slate shanks and gold based blacks will have black shanks.

Thank you for your response Paul! You are always so helpful.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 01:08:32 PM »
I expect you've already talked with Harry Shaffer about the Self Blues and gotten his suggestions.  It seems like he mentioned that he would rather use Blue to reinforce the Self Blue.  I think most folks are afraid that they will bring in Lacing or edging into the Self Blue.  But if I recall correctly, Harry felt that the Self Blue should be Silver and Er based (birchen) for best results.  So when crossing to improve the color he felt that the Blue was the best option.  I don't know if he sees increased leakage when he crosses lines at first.   I think I remember that Sharon York was keeping a line of blues with Silver based separate from her Black line.  You might contact her to see what she has or might offer in hatching season.  She might offer her black chicks from her blue line.  And I think Susan got some Blue eggs to hatch, but I am not sure what she might have at this time.  Maybe a few others will jump in if they have something to offer in this vein.  Self Blue breed true but in my opinion are not the easiest to breed either. But they really are beautiful when they are right too.  Good luck and enjoy! 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »
I expect you've already talked with Harry Shaffer about the Self Blues and gotten his suggestions.  It seems like he mentioned that he would rather use Blue to reinforce the Self Blue.  I think most folks are afraid that they will bring in Lacing or edging into the Self Blue.  But if I recall correctly, Harry felt that the Self Blue should be Silver and Er based (birchen) for best results.  So when crossing to improve the color he felt that the Blue was the best option.  I don't know if he sees increased leakage when he crosses lines at first.   I think I remember that Sharon York was keeping a line of blues with Silver based separate from her Black line.  You might contact her to see what she has or might offer in hatching season.  She might offer her black chicks from her blue line.  And I think Susan got some Blue eggs to hatch, but I am not sure what she might have at this time.  Maybe a few others will jump in if they have something to offer in this vein.  Self Blue breed true but in my opinion are not the easiest to breed either. But they really are beautiful when they are right too.  Good luck and enjoy!

Hi Don,

Thank you for the advice. I will get in touch with Sharon. I admire the work that she has done with the breed. Yes, I have spoken with Harry. He has been very helpful. I agree about the perception of self blues. It seems that from what I gather, they can be frustrating at times, but I reckon anything worth doing, is worth doing right. Lol I enjoy a good challenge, and working with chickens brings me 100% joy. Thanks again.

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 06:43:49 PM »

Hi Don,

Thank you so much for your response. I am looking for blacks based on silver to use in my self blue/lavender pens. I have been doing a lot of research on the lavender color and the genetics behind it, particularly in regard to leakage and the k gene. After speaking with a few breeders that have been working with the lavender color for several years, I have been encouraged to find blacks based on silver to use in those pens, as it is suspected that the straw colored (red) leakage that occurs in self blues/lavenders may be from using gold based black birds. Some breeders also feel that the slow feathering K gene may attach to gold based birds more easily, although it is not cut in stone. Anyway, most of my research is hypothetical at this point, and based on the experience of others, but I'd like to put the hypothesis to work, and test it.

You can use gold based blacks. Just use females. If you have a Self Blue rooster that you know is silver base, just breed him to the gold base black females. And ONLY use the daughters cause the daughters will only inherit the silver gene. You would have to cull the males.

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 08:16:20 PM »

Hi Don,

Thank you so much for your response. I am looking for blacks based on silver to use in my self blue/lavender pens. I have been doing a lot of research on the lavender color and the genetics behind it, particularly in regard to leakage and the k gene. After speaking with a few breeders that have been working with the lavender color for several years, I have been encouraged to find blacks based on silver to use in those pens, as it is suspected that the straw colored (red) leakage that occurs in self blues/lavenders may be from using gold based black birds. Some breeders also feel that the slow feathering K gene may attach to gold based birds more easily, although it is not cut in stone. Anyway, most of my research is hypothetical at this point, and based on the experience of others, but I'd like to put the hypothesis to work, and test it.

You can use gold based blacks. Just use females. If you have a Self Blue rooster that you know is silver base, just breed him to the gold base black females. And ONLY use the daughters cause the daughters will only inherit the silver gene. You would have to cull the males.

Thanks Cesar! That is great to know.