Author Topic: preliminary evaluation of young Black Ameraucanas  (Read 3221 times)

Lavender Sullivan

preliminary evaluation of young Black Ameraucanas
« on: September 23, 2016, 07:58:20 PM »
I want to do a preliminary evaluation on my 18 week old Black Ameraucanas and I would love your input.

2 cockerels
- Christmas = red leakage, so automatically labeled an easter egger with no other evaluation
- Maxson = lots of green sheen, good ear lobe color, prominent chest/breast, good posture and tail position, good beard and muffs although beard could be a tad bit better, comb has one more bump on one side than on the other.

3 pullets
- Navi = sibling to Christmas, equal amounts of purple and green sheen that's evenly distributed, good ear lobe color, prominent chest/breast, good posture and tail position, good muffs and beard, perfect tight little pea comb
- pink tag = good green sheen, good ear lobe color, chest/breast less pronounced than others but not bad, good posture and tail position, small beard, good muffs, comb has one more bump on one side than the other.
- white tag = lots of green sheen, good ear lobe color, prominent chest/breast, good posture, slightly lowered tail position but still young, very good beard and muffs, mildly bent comb

If you had to pick only ONE pullet from this group to be paired with Maxson, which one would you choose? I understand they are still young, therefore this is not my final decision. I already have an idea which one I may choose, but I want the opinions of experienced breeders. Thank you.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: preliminary evaluation of young Black Ameraucanas
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:38:35 AM »
  I would wait 6 more weeks then decide.  A lot can happen from 4 to 5 1/2 months of age-especially on the cockerels.  If we look at the birds of the air-its the males that are colorful in order to attract a mate.  Of course we don't want any extra color on the black males-just a green sheen.
Paul Smith

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 06:38:30 PM »
Lavender,  It sounds like the second two pullets are a good match at this point.  The comb descriptions are hard to compare, and they may still change some like you and Paul said.  They both seem to have good qualities.  I would stud mate them both and keep records.  Then you can build a family from each, evaluate in next generations and see how it goes.   
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Lavender Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 08:57:45 PM »
Thank you both for your advice. It's much appreciated.