Author Topic: Looking for Fall bantam babies  (Read 6031 times)

Andrew Johnson

Looking for Fall bantam babies
« on: September 24, 2016, 02:04:16 PM »
Wanted variety will depend on availability and if anyone has or planning for fall bantam babies. Not really in a rush as the weather here in Alabama is still scorching. Just wanted to get a head start in the search. Thanks

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Fall bantam babies
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 09:15:15 PM »
We are playing with the idea of hatching fall chicks this year. The biggest problem that we have is that we will be showing and keeping birds in breeding pens causes problems with feathers. Oh well, we will see how things work out.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire

Rebecca Howie

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 09:56:13 PM »
I will be hatching a few Bantam Lavender (Self Blue) over the next few months. I currently have 3 - 3.5 week old Lav chicks and 2 - 3.5 week old black/lav split chicks. I might hatch a few Wheaten/Blue Wheaten chicks also in next couple months

Andrew Johnson

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 09:15:15 AM »
Still on the search. Let me know what you got or planning to set soon.

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:47:55 AM »
Don't give up searching for Bantam Ameraucanas. They are worth the wait. We searched for two years before finding our first ones. Some varieties were not found until the third year.  The breeders are not ignoring your posts. There just aren't that many of us and those of us who breed them do not have large numbers of breeding stock. Some of our birds are starting to lay now. We should have Blacks, Blues, Splashes, and Whites available later this spring. Even if I had them now, I would be afraid to ship them due to the strange weather that we are having. Last weekend it was down in the low 20's. Yesterday and today, we are expecting temperatures in the high 70's.

I feel your pain,
Ernie Haire
Poultry 2XL

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »
Andrew,  Glad you are interested in Bantams. They need more folks working with them for certain.  Sorry you've not had luck so far.  Timing is key. Breeders will have a limited number of birds available once they get their season in order.  Making arrangements will hopefully get you and a breeder on the same page.  Most breeders only hatch bantams in March-June.  That's the best time to raise them taking into consideration weather and shows.   Some folks will offer hatching eggs earlier or in the off season.  Look up breeders on the Breeder's list If you want a specific color.  Arrange to meet someone at a show with some started chicks.  Or arrange to get some of the extra breeding stock after their season is decided.   Good luck and I hope you can get around to some shows this spring.     
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:55:21 AM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Andrew Johnson

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 11:19:05 AM »
The directory is always the best place to look, I agree. I just like to use all options available is why I also posted here asking.

The weather has been unpredictable lately. Ours doesn't seem to know it's January. It has really done a number on the things needed done around the house.