Author Topic: Chicken coop I built  (Read 6991 times)

DeWayne Edgin

Chicken coop I built
« on: November 19, 2016, 07:44:23 PM »
I thought I would show everyone the trailer that I turned into a chicken coop. I'm not a contractor so go easy on me. Lol. I still have some touching up to do to it. I'm painting the words Ameraucanas on it yet and I have to get more hinges for the egg box. I put a light in it with a timer though. It is easy to move and I have 50 hens in it and lots of room to spare yet.

DeWayne Edgin

Re: Chicken coop I built
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 07:49:28 PM »
Here is a picture of the inside.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 08:10:11 PM »
It looks like someone has been busy.  Nice coop DeWayne! You can build a couple of those down this way.
It looks like you had a good apprentice too.  Teaching them early?
I like some of those hens living in it too. 
BTW, did you get all of your firewood in for the winter?
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 08:25:22 PM »
No Don I need 14 more pickup loads but I have some cut up to split and haul in yet. Yea my little boy loves to help me when I'm doing outside stuff. Here are a few move in pictures. I use my brother's little tractor to move it around easy.

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 08:28:20 PM »
Susan I love my sign I got made and put on it. Thanks!!

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 01:45:54 AM »
DeWayne, great job! Thanks for the pictures. This takes a chicken tractor coop to another level! Love the color! I never thought of this approach before. You have me checking out some of my old trailers or a hayrack or two. It would sure make relocating the coop a snap!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 02:01:13 AM by Birdcrazy »
Gordon Gilliam

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 07:09:36 AM »
Thank you. There are a few huge coops in my area that are built on old hay wagon frames. I have a couple old wagon frames at my dad's but I thought it would cost a lot to build one that big. I may get rough cut lumber or regular plywood and slowly build one so I can raise meat birds with my Ameraucanas.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 07:43:03 AM »
Susan I love my sign I got made and put on it. Thanks!!

I saw a picture of it on FB, DeWayne and it looks awesome!!  The whole thing is making me envious. :)

Would you mind sharing where you had the sign done and the cost?
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 09:03:23 AM »
DeWayne,   Our kids were a big help with outside projects too.  We should have taken more pictures for sure.  Their Mom was so upset when they climbed up when we were putting the roof on the shed.  Seems like so long ago now.  Wait until she sees the Grand kids  up on the ladder.

I like the design and sign too.  It would be great to be able to move it to a new pasture during the seasons.  We don't have that much land but I can see us moving it from shaded to sunny areas for different seasons.  They really like to get into the woods and scratch thru the leaves at any season.  I know it will work great.   
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 10:19:16 AM »
I took another thing from this post, Ameraucana people tend to "DREAM BIG!", or is that "THINK BIG!"

Gordon Gilliam

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 08:33:42 PM »
Susan I got the sign made here at a local guys house. If you go on Facebook, search ( D signs ) I sent him the picture on Facebook messenger and he messaged me when it was done. It cost $20 and I picked it up at his house on a Saturday morning early. It is plastic and I screwed it on with drywall screws. It seems to be holding up good. It's been on there for a long time now. I have stencils that I'm going to use to paint ( Ameraucanas ) on the top sides on the green 1x 8 s under the edge of the roof. It's been cold here now so I need warmer weather first. I also need two more hinges for the left side egg box lid. I been real busy cutting fire wood lately and the snow is flying here now.

Don my chickens are always in the woods scratching also. Last night my son and I went in the woods before dark to find a good tree for a deer stand. As we was walking up in the woods, I spotted a huge nest of eggs!! I've been running lights in my coop and only getting 2 to 4 eggs a day from 50 hens! Now I know why but I save on feed by letting them free range in the day. My son loves to go with me out to our chickens and goats and he likes to help me with chores to. He is only 9 and I enjoy him helping and learning about animals. I would love to get to a show with him along sometime.