Author Topic: Dixie Classic, 12/3-4/2016, Knoxville, TN  (Read 6424 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Dixie Classic, 12/3-4/2016, Knoxville, TN
« on: December 01, 2016, 07:42:57 PM »
Headed out in the morning and the car is packed full!  First time at this show and I can't wait..also first time entering birds as trios, so it will definitely be a learning experience for me.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Dixie Classic, 12/3-4/2016, Knoxville, TN
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 08:50:16 PM »
I have never been to that show, but Mom, Mary, and Peggy went up there a few years ago. They really had a good time. That is one of the shows that I hope to be able to attend one of these days. I hope that you have a great time and will be praying for safe travels.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 07:42:12 AM »
I hear rumors of a great show with Wins for several members.  Looking forward to seeing a report with who attended and how the show turned out.   
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 09:31:10 AM »
Well, the Dixie Classic is history for this year and what a show!  I have never seen so many birds in one place, at one time before.  I think the final entry count was just above 4000 birds!  I got to meet John Thomas (who has Ameraucanas, and is sooo nice) and Harry House (who doesn't have Ameraucanas, but we won't hold that against him).  Harry also sang the National Anthem for the opening ceremony and wow! can he sing!

There were 22 large fowl entered by three exhibitors - me, Lindsay Huckaby Helton (aka Once in a Blue Moon), and Lisa Marshall-Thomas.  The quality, overall, of the Ameraucanas entered was astounding and I was especially thrilled to see the two beautiful self-blue hens entered by Lindsay.  One of my cockerels took Best of Breed, out of 10 blacks entered, and Lindsay's Blue Wheaten hen took Reserve Breed, out of two blue wheatens entered.

In bantams, there were 12 birds entered, with Maggie taking Best of Variety and Reserve Best of Variety with her beautiful silvers, out of three entered.  Best of Breed and Reserve Best of Breed went to some wheaten bantams, entered by Labs Luv Bantams - non-members, but they had some very nice wheaten bantams.  Here are a couple of pics from the show:

From l-r Maggie Maier, me (holding BB Black K), and Lindsay Helton

BV BB Black K by Susan Mouw

BV RB Blue Wheaten H by Lindsay Helton

The incomplete meet report is published.  Hannah Brush was actively chasing down the finals for the Juniors when I had to head out Sunday morning.  As soon as she sends that info on, I'll update the report with the Junior results.  Maybe Hannah will post some pics of those beautiful birds I saw her and Colton entered?
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
Susan, is this the same cockerel that you won big time at the Forsyth Fowl Fanciers Show? Or is it the other cockerel that you thought would win at FFFS?
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 10:14:14 AM »
Susan, is this the same cockerel that you won big time at the Forsyth Fowl Fanciers Show? Or is it the other cockerel that you thought would win at FFFS?

Same boy :)  And the same blue pullet that won BV last week took BV this week. :)  Of course, I can't take credit for the blues - those were bred by Sharon Yorks.  I can't wait to see what I get in the brooder boxes next spring!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 10:29:31 AM »
I guess you had better keep showing the guy! You can't complain of the results even if you feel the other cockerel is better. What is his fate? The cockerel you thought would win.  Keep showing, breeder pens? Sounds like he is too good for the soup pot!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 10:41:59 AM by Birdcrazy »
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 10:49:42 AM »
Well...I'm waiting to hear back from my ride for this weekend, but if they have room...we're going to Cape Fear. :)  It's not an ABC meet, so no points, but two of three judges should be good for him.

I have a couple of early winter shows in Jan/Feb that he will probably go to, before relegating him to the breeding pens for Spring.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »
What is his fate? The cockerel you thought would win.  Keep showing, breeder pens? Sounds like he is too good for the soup pot!

Oh yeah, definitely too good for the soup pot!  LOL...He's going to be staying and will be the sire of my third black breeding pen in the spring.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »
Thanks for the update, Susan. I have been wondering all weekend how things went in Knoxville. Congratulations to everyone how exhibited at the show this weekend. I hope to be able to show there in the next couple of years. Mom, Mary, and Peggy were up there a couple of years ago and they really enjoyed the show.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »

Oh yeah, definitely too good for the soup pot!  LOL...He's going to be staying and will be the sire of my third black breeding pen in the spring.

What a happy bird he will be! I'm sure he will like that new role better than being on the show circuit!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:10:42 AM by Birdcrazy »
Gordon Gilliam

Peggy Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 09:22:38 PM »
Its been so hectic around here that I haven't had time to stop and visit the forum in several days....

Congratulations Susan and Maggie on your wins as well as others that had winners in the show....I really did enjoy the trip to Knoxville with Ernie's mom and aunt a couple of years ago. Would sure like to go back in the next year or so.  If I can get Ernie retired....he has a real job :)...we hope to be able to travel a bit more than we can now.

Susan.....glad to hear the Wheaten boy is doing well....If he sires as well as his pop does you will get some nice birds from him-

Have a blessed day everyone.....

Peggy