Author Topic: Breeding for Standard Colors Information  (Read 5125 times)

Breeding for Standard Colors Information
« on: June 28, 2005, 09:36:33 PM »
Is there any book any of you could recommend on breeding standard Ameraucana colors? I am being asked some questions, mostly from 4Hers who are becoming more interested in Ameraucanas and breeding for colors. I would like to have something to pass out to these kids on information on what crosses to get specific colors (I can\'t begin to tell you how many times I\'ve explained the black and blue genetics). Is there a specific place that lists all the standard colors and what colors to cross to get them?
Thanks for the help.

Kathy

John

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 09:54:38 PM »
I would recommend buying one of the NEW ABC Handbooks, when they come out in another month or so.  Michael Muenks and Mike Gilbert have written several new articles and some deal with breeding and one even details the black/blue cross %\'s.
Second I recommend they all register on this forum...read what has been posted and then ask questions.
A good book for every breeder is BANTAM CHICKENS by Fred P. Jeffrey.
A good website is: http://marsa_sellers.tripod.com/geneticspages/page0.html.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 11:15:42 PM »
Other than the obvious black / blue and wheaten /blue-wheaten crosses, I can\'t imagine why kids would want to start a long term project to produce colors that are already available through breeders.   Producing standard colors is not a one, two, or even a three year project.   Most kids won\'t have that kind of patience.   I would recommend they get decent stock from breeders to start out with.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 11:10:19 AM »
I believe it\'s been more the parents behind all of this than the kids. Although I did have two young people (who gave me the third degree) question me extensively about how to get certain colors. These two still have about 5 years before they go off to college. We are trying to really encourage the poultry kids in this area as they have been overlooked for so very long. In this area beef cattle are king in 4H and all the other animals are not treated with the respect they deserve. The seed has taken in a couple of these kids and I don\'t want to be the one to snuff it out. So, when they ask, I try to answer as best I can. These two are interested more in \"what would happen if....\" than just buying birds and showing them. It is so refreshing to see that maybe, just maybe, we might have a couple of lifetime Fanciers in the making.

grisaboy

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 03:09:45 PM »
One of the best books I have seen on breeding for color varieties is \" Old English Game Bantams as Raised and Bred in the US\" by Fred Jeffries.  Old English Bantams come in about 40 different color varieties so they have a lot of experience making different colors.
Kids are naturally curious and want to try something different or special.  I have told kids in our local 4H club to get one variety to try and win with (Black Old English, Black Cochin, Rhode Island Red, etc) and then one to play with and try to develop or improve.  My daughter has Black Cochins that she hopes to win with and she has some Golden Laced Cochins that she is trying to improve by crossing to the blacks and then selecting for color and type.
The kids could also get involved with a project to get a new breed or variety into the standard.  I know of several, Lavendar Ameraucanas, Blue Jersey Giants, Marans to name a few.  This would give them a chance to work on something new while working with other breeders.  They would also have a better chance to find someone to take over their project when they decide to give up on 4H and go off to college or chase girls or what ever else kids decide to do.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 06:04:54 PM »
Good advice.   Blue Jersey Giants, however, already had a qualifying meet and were accepted.   I was able to help out in a small way by showing a hen.   It was at Columbus, Ohio, a few years ago.