Author Topic: Meet Requests - please read :)  (Read 7664 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Meet Requests - please read :)
« on: February 07, 2017, 09:03:20 AM »
Hi everyone

I just wanted to take a few minutes and clear up a few things concerning Meet Requests.

• Any member can request a Meet at any show location.  We would like to see Meets placed where there is a good chance of having at least 3 exhibitors - not three birds entered, but three separate people entering birds.  In some areas of the country - eg. some areas of the NE, and the SE - there aren't yet that many Ameraucana exhibitors.  You can still request your Meet and is up to the District Director for the Meet location to decide to go ahead and place the meet or not.
  • Requests should be sent to the District Director for where the meet is located - which may or may not be your District Director.  For example, I request a meet each year for the Heart of Dixie show in Anniston, AL.  Alabama is in the South Central District; but I am in the South Eastern District.  I send the Meet Request to the South Central District Director - Paul Smith
  • Requests should be sent to the DD at least 30 days prior to the closing date for that show.  We have made exceptions to this in the past, but it's not really fair to other exhibitors who might be interested in going to that show, but don't go because it isn't an ABC until the last minute.  The 30 days allows us to get everything processed and up on the website in time for people to make their plans.  It also gives the hosting Club time to get our information (correct) in their catalog
  • Please send as much information as you can when requesting a Meet.  Name of the show, hosting club, date of the show, show secretary, and location of the show are must-haves, but it is also nice to have such things as hosting club website, poultry show central link.  Remember that those of us processing your Meet Request are not in the same area as you and we don't know what "the meet next weekend just north of here" means. (Ok that was a bit of exaggeration, but you get the point)
  • Meet Requests are usually, but not automatically, given.  In other words, the District Director has the right to refuse a meet request - usually because that club has not returned meet reports in the past.
  • If you have requested the meet, please be prepared to do a Meet Report while at the show - they're fairly simple to do and it guarantees that you will get credit for those wins.  Show secretaries are notoriously busy and some will state that they will not do breed club meet reports - only reports to APA/ABA.  So, when you request a Meet, be prepared to fill out a Meet Report.  If you have any questions about how to do one, let me or Temple DaSilva know and we'll be happy to help you out.

If you have any questions about Meet Requests, or Meet Reports, please feel free to email meets@ameraucanabreedersclub.org and either Temple or or I will be happy to help out.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Meet Requests - please read :)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 11:58:48 AM »
  Several years before Angela & I became involved with Ameraucanas, meets were set-up to encourage ABC members who showed Ameraucanas or fanciers who had an interest in them to come to the show which had the meet scheduled.  The meets were scheduled in areas where several ABC members could attend.  Meets were only set at the request of an ABC member, who was expected to show some Ameraucanas so the meet report would not come back-NONE SHOWN.

Each state was allowed one state meet and as many special meets as ABC members requested.  Each district was allowed one district meet per year.  A national meet was held every couple years at first, then soon became an annual event before we became involved.

The ABC would provide special rosettes to the champion & res. Champion Ameraucana provided the meet qualified by having the required number of 3 ABC members (later changed to Ameraucana exhibitors) to show.  The rosettes were only awarded to ABC members.  I remember Robbie Lindsay, former SC district director saying “we will never have a qualifying meet in our district.”  Ameraucanas have grown from a few hid in the corner of a show room to the main center isles (yes plural) in some shows.

Since there was no difference between state and special meet, their names were changed to club meets.  This eliminated the confusion and record keeping of which is it-State or Special?  The first SE district’s national meet was held in Galax, VA. in 2001.  Angela & I had the honors of winning the champion on a black pullet.  The earlier nationals had been held in the northern states where the majority of the ABC members were located.  The first SC district’s national meet was held in Sedalia, MO. in 2005.  Jerry DeSmidt had the champion on a white hen.  The national meet is expected to be the highlight of the year for not only Ameraucanas but also each breed club.  The ABC national has lived up to its expectations in the past and will continue to, if each ABC member will support it.  There has never been an ABC meet of any status (district, state, special, club) in the district that is holding the national meet at the same time as the national meet.  The same applies to each of the district’s district meet.  This was recently verified by Susan Mouw.  The national and each of the district meets are suppose to be the top shows of the ABC for the entire year.  They will only remain that way if we support them and maintain the importance that they are, and not just another meet.  I’m all for ABC club meets.  The more meets-the more Ameraucanas will be shown.  The more they are shown-the more they will win-the more popular they will become!  However it is not right to hold an ABC club meet the same weekend as the national or district meet, where the club meet will be in the same district.  This hasn’t been done since the beginning of the ABC and never needs to start.  The national and each of the 5 districts meets must have their own weekend to continue the importance that each desires.

Any ABC member desiring to request a meet in the SC district needs to contact me at psmith@ntin.net.

I have requested my local poultry show (Red River Bantam Club) in my hometown of Gainesville, TX. and the Southwestern Exposition Show at Ft. Worth, TX. to be ABC club meets.  There are a lot of shows within the district.  Need ABC members to get involved by requesting them as meets.  The show must be an ABC meet before any ABC points are awarded.

Paul Smith
Paul Smith

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »
Thank you Paul and Angela for all the hard work you have done with the ABC and the Ameraucana Breed over the past several years. As you stated in your post that things have really changed over the years in the recognition of the Ameraucana Breed. A lot of that credit deservedly goes to you and Angela. Your breeding program and show record is evidence of that, not to mention that I have bought your chicks a couple of times over the years to incorporate into my breeding program. Thanks for your leadership and support of the Ameraucana Breed!
Gordon Gilliam

Kelly Gore

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:02:59 PM »
Perhaps I did something wrong or my request went into her 'junk' folder. I sent Jean Ribbeck a request a while back for the AZ State Fair to be an ABC Meet. I haven't heard anything back. Susan, can you forward my contact info to her? Russell Page Coordinator 602-708-7165 is the contact for this, the poultry show would be arrival 10/18, judging the 19th and 20th. Poultry Show Central Link:

http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Arizona_State_Fair.html

Thank you!

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 08:57:40 AM »
Hi Kelly

I have company from TN here today, but I'll work on this when I can...probably early first of the week. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Kelly Gore

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 06:37:57 PM »
Thanks Susan, your the best! Enjoy your company!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 06:40:43 PM by Kelly Gore »

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 08:24:56 AM »
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for you kind words.

Paul & Angela
Paul Smith

Temple DaSilva

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 08:32:13 AM »
Perhaps I did something wrong or my request went into her 'junk' folder. I sent Jean Ribbeck a request a while back for the AZ State Fair to be an ABC Meet. I haven't heard anything back. Susan, can you forward my contact info to her? Russell Page Coordinator 602-708-7165 is the contact for this, the poultry show would be arrival 10/18, judging the 19th and 20th. Poultry Show Central Link:

http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Arizona_State_Fair.html

Thank you!

Hi Kelly,

Nope, you didn't do anything wrong!  I am the Meets Coordinator helping Susan.  I received a few meet requests from Jean recently but this wasn't among them so maybe it did get lost somewhere in her email.  I will contact Jean about this one and get back to you.

Best,
-Temple DaSilva

Kelly Gore

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 08:11:39 PM »
Thanks Temple! This is my first show and just want to get all my 'chickens' in a row!

Temple DaSilva

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 07:15:45 AM »
Thanks Temple! This is my first show and just want to get all my 'chickens' in a row!

Super exciting for you, Kelly!  Good luck and please share pics when you have them!

-temple

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 11:19:52 AM »

Super exciting for you, Kelly!  Good luck and please share pics when you have them!

-temple

LOL!  As usual, Temple is on the ball!  Thanks, Temple!!  You are very much appreciated. :)

Kelly - I would like to emphasize what Temple said - Good luck at your first show and we want to see pics! :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Kelly Gore

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 04:11:06 PM »
You know I will take pics! I have been sitting in their pen, as hot as it is out here, for about an hour each day. They get their frozen treats and I get to evaluate them. They are changing a lot right now, and I have my favorites. I may have to have a bit of help towards the end of August, to evaluate better, paperwork due in by Sept 15. Thank you!

Kelly Gore

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 12:08:26 AM »
Temple,

How is this going? I don't know what it takes to set this up, but am biting my nails! LOL Thank you for all you do!

Kelly

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »
Hey Kelly, The AZ state fair was awarded but the announcement was listed in Past Meets.  Someone will re-post it in the Up Coming tab tonight.  Sorry for the confusion. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 06:31:35 PM »
The upcoming meets list is updated on the website, on both the Home page and on the Meets Page.  If you have requested a meet and don't see it listed, please contact me or Temple at meets@ameraucanabreedersclub.org.

Kelly - the Arizona State Fair is an ABC meet. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm