Author Topic: Egg color?  (Read 6024 times)

Kelly Gore

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Egg color?
« on: January 14, 2017, 07:54:42 PM »
As you all know, I am new to this breed. My 2- six month old pullets finally laid eggs today. Both on the same day. Yes I was excited, then kind of let down. The color is so light. So I got out my nifty egg color wheel, which I also received today with my new member packet (yeah!) and they were a #16. Is there any chance they may darken a bit? I have had EE's that lay bluer eggs! I think the answer is, it is what it is, but wanted to make sure. Thank you!

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Egg color?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:18:28 PM »
Kelly, What variety of Ameraucana are your pullets? Some varieties tend to lay lighter colored eggs than other varieties. Some say Blacks tend to lay the bluest eggs. I know that my Wheaten and Blue Wheaten tend to lay a pastel blue egg as compared to my Black/Blue/Splash varieties. I have been working with the W and BW line to get a deeper blue egg. One thing positive their eggs are always a shade of blue which is not the case of the Black/Blue/Splash. When starting with that varieties my eggs ranged from olive to green to blue green to blue to blue blue. By selection I have gotten ridden of the olive and green egg layers. Now down to working on the bluish green, blue and blue blue egg layers. Slow work, but moving in a positive direction. Some say that egg color tends to be influenced by the male bird. They maintain never use a male bird that came out of anything but a blue egg. Now with that aside, that only leaves size, conformation, eye color, muffs and beards, feather color, leg color etc. to work on. That's what can be so rewarding and fun trying to get the right balance. Have fun with your poultry and enjoy them!
Gordon Gilliam

Kelly Gore

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:39:59 PM »
Mine are Blue. I don't know about the parents as I bought them from a local breeder here in AZ. They all seem 'correct' to me. Their eye color is a little lighter than I think it should be, but was told it will darken as they grow older. I also think that my hens are too small. Not small enough to be bantam, but not thinking the will make weight in 6 more months.(I hope they surprise me!) I have only had Ameraucana Cocks in the past, so the hens are new to me. I will enjoy them, they are sweet birds. I will work on confirmation, and egg color. Has to be a happy medium in there somewhere! Thank you!

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »
Hi Kelly

If the color was on the egg color wheel, then it came from another Ameraucana egg, so you're in good company. :)

While the Standard says that Ameraucanas are to lay blue eggs, there are a lot of interpretations and shades of blue; ranging from a deep blue to a very pale blue, and even to greenish blue.  I've had birds here that have laid very pale eggs, and some that have laid a greener egg.  I try to focus on type first and egg color second, but I won't put a green egg in the incubator, so as not to continue that into the next generation. Once I isolate and identify the hen that lays the greener eggs, she's usually sold/given away as a backyard layer.

It's all a work in progress and the fun part is seeing the changes (mostly good, but occasionally a step backwards lol) from year to year. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 11:12:55 AM »
Kelly,   The egg color can be quite varied when they first start laying.  But at they start thru the laying cycle they probably will be lighter as the egg pigment supply is reduced.   In a new season they start over with a new supply but they probably will not darken more. 

The egg color of an EE can often be nicer and darker than an Ameraucana.  It's easy to select for egg color generation after generation when you don't care about type, feather color, combs, etc.     The dark blue colors on the egg card are nice.  But these are pretty rare from what I've heard.    Good Luck with your breeding this season!     
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Kelly Gore

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 06:43:41 PM »
Susan and Don,

Thanks for the replies. I think these girls will go into my 'layer' pen. They are really friendly and personable. I have some older hens in there that don't lay much anymore and need to have a few more in there. I donate all off my extra eggs to the food bank with the Church and to the Women's shelter here. Now I have to hope for a good hatch with my black hatching eggs I ordered. Fingers crossed!