Author Topic: Feeding to get ready for show  (Read 4522 times)

Kelly Gore

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Feeding to get ready for show
« on: March 16, 2017, 08:58:47 PM »
As you all know I am pretty new to this breed and am planning to start showing in the fall. I will be picking up a few 1 to 2 month olds this Saturday, from a local breeder who also shows her birds. My question is, do they need to be fed differently than my other birds? Right now they are fed all flock feed, fruits and veggies several times per week, and every one in a while whole oats and a little sweet feed mixed in. What do you all raise your show hopefuls on? Do you start your program when they are very young or wait until closer to show time?

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Feeding to get ready for show
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:13:37 PM »
I like to use Purina Flock Raiser. It is higher protein than their regular poultry feed. I start day old chicks on it and continue this as a ration until about 5 months of age. It is great for feather growth and gives birds a good feather sheen.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:45:19 AM by Birdcrazy »
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 09:39:29 PM »
I use Flock Raiser, too.  All my birds are on it, except during hatching season, when the hens are on a laying crumble ration.

I do start young chicks on chick feed, but as soon as they go out to the grow out pens, they are switched to flock raiser.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Kelly Gore

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 11:21:36 PM »
Thank you both for your replies! Hoping I get it right the first time!