Author Topic: color inside olive/green eggs  (Read 3412 times)

color inside olive/green eggs
« on: September 28, 2006, 12:14:49 PM »
If anyone out there has a few EELs laying olive/green eggs, can you tell me what the color is on the INSIDE of the egg? White, Blue, Brown, Green? Does anyone have a EEL (or Ameraucana) laying blue eggs with white on the inside?
Thank you in advance for your time.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 10:07:00 PM »
I currently own one olive egger, she is a brown red large fowl.   The outside is olive, but the inside of the shell is blue.
Blue shells are also blue on the inside, though the membrane that lines the inside of the shell is white.   When the membrane is peeled away, the blue color is there.  Hope I answered your questions?

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 01:34:16 PM »
Yes thank you. I had thought that the base colors for eggs was brown and white, as I have a few crossed hens (OEG X &  American Game X) that lay all light brown or lt.brown throughout eggs. The color of most my \"blue\" eggs is a turqoise blue and I was discussing with someone that I had suspicions that there was still one of the 13 genes responsible for the \"brown\" egg lurking in the genetic make-up of these as they are so different from the clear blue eggs I have. These turqouis blue eggs are turqois throughout, which pairs with the lt.brown throughout. Makes me think there may be an brown gene that has linked with the blue gene ... hmmm
Anyone else have experience/thoughts on this?

Just read Lee Sellers info on the web more closely, and it says that the brown color is MOSTLY laid on the outside of the egg, and that the brown genes may just be modifiers of white.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 03:35:40 PM »
I owned several ee\'s over the past five or so years and I always noticed that they were blue on the inside.  I never had one that layed a brown egg, so I do not know if it is true with them, but the green, blue and khaki eggs all had a \"bluer\" color on the inside.

I would agree from simple observation that the blue color is layed on first and the brown later.  
Jean

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 12:12:45 AM »
The blue egg shell gene adds the blue pigment to the egg shell as it is deposited around the egg. So the egg shell is blue from the outside to the inside.

Most brown egg layers add the brown pigment to the outside of the eggshell. This pigment can be rubbed off and it will expose a white shell.

A green egg layer has a blue shelled egg and adds brown to the outside of the egg shell  making the eggshell green.

Tim