Author Topic: Donation  (Read 4534 times)

DeWayne Edgin

Donation
« on: March 31, 2017, 10:31:08 AM »
My birds just started laying but only a few and usually they are all laying good by now. I was contacted by a school teacher wanting to incubate eggs in her classroom and the teacher didn't want the chicks. She thought the blue eggs would be neat for the children to watch. So she found a person to take the chicks that hatch and I donated almost 4 dozen eggs to the teacher for her children to watch hatch. I told her about the breed and our club and she is going to pass all of the info I gave her to the person getting the eggs. So there is a chance we may get another new member.

I am going to be collecting Brown Red eggs this week to start filling the many, many, many orders I have for them so everyone waiting on them can finally start getting them from me. Thanks for your patience also as my breeding season is starting off very slow and I don't know why. I even ran lights in my new coop this winter and I didn't see much difference in egg production.

My Brown Reds are the only variety that started also so I will start filling them orders first until the rest of birds are off of vacation.

I felt the school teacher could also use the information I gave her to help teach the children about the breed and maybe get a few kids interested in raising them. It may also help our battle on teaching the difference of Easter Eggers verses Ameraucanas. It could help promote the breed in my area as well.

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Donation
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 02:16:41 PM »
Thanks DeWayne for your unique way of promoting the breed and the ABC with your donation. I hope the teacher and kids get hooked on those blue eggs and those cute little Ameraucana chicks when they hatch.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, my hens are slow producing eggs too this year. Perhaps in my case it is the cold damp rainy weather we have been having the past 3 weeks. My niece did set a few eggs 2-1/2 weeks ago and she told me the fertility in them was not great. I know this is usually the case with my early settings so I haven't been real concerned with the low egg production. it seems like mid to late April before the fertility rate is where it should be around here.

Susan, if you are listening in on this, let me know when the new handbooks are ready and you have a shipped price on them. I will see if DeWayne can get an address for the class and I will buy a 2017 handbook to send the class. Might be good advertising for the ABC and a follow up to DeWayne's gesture!
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »
Just reading this - DeWayne - that is fantastic!  What a great idea and way to promote the Real Thing! :)

Gordon - we just got the e-proofs back from the publisher, so I'm waiting on the go ahead from all the Board to sign of and send them to print. :)  As soon as they're ready, I'll let you know....of course, you'll be one of the first to know anyway, as a Board member.  lol
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 05:25:33 PM »
That would be great Gordan! I will text the teacher and ask for the address for me. You guys have great ideas. Thanks.

Susan the teacher will be setting the eggs in the incubator on Monday. Not to rush you or anything. Lol.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 09:30:12 PM »
I'm like that duck - calm on the surface (with a few flaps now and then), but under the water - my legs are paddling like crazy.  lol
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 09:48:07 PM »
Watch out for that snapping turtle. Lol

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 09:57:26 PM »
Watch out for that snapping turtle. Lol

Oh, I'm watching him.  I even visit his website now and then to see what he's up to. ;)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 10:14:54 PM »
Don't have a clue who you might be talking about, but snapping turtles can be nasty!
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 11:35:32 AM »
No one in particular, Gordon...I was just trying to be funny, without success. LOL
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
No one in particular, Gordon...I was just trying to be funny, without success. LOL

You had success, I did do a chuckle or TWO!
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 01:03:47 PM »

You had success, I did do a chuckle or TWO!

Where's my "like" button? :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm