Author Topic: Ameraucanas vs. Easter Eggers?  (Read 3244 times)

Ernie Haire

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Ameraucanas vs. Easter Eggers?
« on: April 24, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »
At what point does a crossbred chicken move from being classified as an Easter Egger to being an Ameraucana.  Is it just based on color, ear muffs, and beards or is it based on percentages? In the Boer goat world, animals are classified by percentage until they reach the point of being 15/16. At 15/16 and above, we register them as Purebred. Percentages show in one division and Purebred/Fullbloods show in another division.

I realize that Noah did not put Ameraucanas on the boat. They were made by selectively breeding other breeds of chickens for desired traits.

Ernie

Tamara Baughman

Re: Ameraucanas vs. Easter Eggers?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »
Ernie good point. As someone that knows the goat formula here is my thought. If all match correct with SOP then continue breeding that one color together till you get no other color showing up in each hatch.

Say your breeding the brown red and trying to weed out the other colors wild has thrown in. So you have 2 that match up in color on brown red you single bred hatch out and you get some other colors plus many brown red. Keep breeding red brown  offspring till all hatch out right for at least 2 generations then I would call pure for the most part.This is also assuming you are culling other factors besides color.

It will take as long as it takes no prediction there.

Jen Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 10:56:18 PM »
From my understanding, as long as it fits the standards in all areas and breeds true at least 50% of the time, then it is an Ameraucana... for showing purposes, they just have to look the part, in essence...

There isn't any emphasis on blood % like in breeding registered mammals... the only exception to that is landrace breeds, like Icelandics, and I don't think any of those are accepted as of yet?

Sarah Meaders

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 08:31:36 AM »
Technically, yes, meets the SOP AND breeds true 50%. HOWEVER, as all too many of us have experienced, ethically, I strongly believe a breeder SHOULD NOT label their birds Ameraucana if they have a recent cross breed. I cannot define "recent" because I am still a newbie. But if a bird is throwing 49% off colors when bred to a tried and true Ameraucana of the same variety, I personally would hope the breeder would label that as an EE.

I only say this because many of us have had the unfortunate experience of purchasing chicks or even full grown beauties that meet the standard in phenotype, only to hatch many chicks that have offshoots. I am not talking about one every hatch. I am talking just under half. Not fun.

Just my opinion....
Proclaim Yahweh's greatness with me! Let us exhale His name together! Psalm 34:3

Peggy Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 10:14:21 AM »
Sarah got it right !   Solid, valid, strong points....