Author Topic: Breeding Buffs  (Read 5381 times)

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Breeding Buffs
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:20:21 PM »
I am reading the book "Buff Coloration in Poultry" right now. I wanted to pass it along to anyone that is breeding buffs or that is interested in learning more about the color. It has some good info in it.

http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/Buff-Coloration.pdf
Joshua 24:15

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding Buffs
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:10:17 AM »
Danne Honour's work with Buff color is well known. There are many different interpretations of how buff color is supposed to present, everything from Lemon to dark rich Gold.  There are a multitude of different conversations about the color covered in the document.  Definitely enough to help anyone in their effort to build a good buff family of birds.     
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 08:56:23 PM »
I have begun my preliminary evaluation of the buffs I have Don. I have around 50 to sort through. If you don't mind, I may send you a few emails to get your assessment on some of them.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
Lindsay, pictures are not the easiest always but I will be happy to help as I can.   
Don Cash

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 01:27:54 AM »
Thank you!  :)

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 02:52:30 PM »
How are the buff grow-outs coming along this season?
Are you going to have some good show champs this year? 
Don Cash

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 10:59:14 AM »
How are the buff grow-outs coming along this season?
Are you going to have some good show champs this year?

Hi Don,
The buff grow outs are doing well. Thanks for asking! I have narrowed them down in half so far, and plan to re-evaluate them again during the next two weeks. I started with birds from two different breeders, with the understanding that the buff color variety as a whole needs some work. Several birds have been culled and sold as pet quality birds for things like poor type, white in the tail, sparse muffs/beards, poor shank color, etc. I have 5-6 promising cockerels left, and around two dozen pullets to sort through. The buff color is really pretty when done right! A gentleman was showing buff Orpingtons at a local show a few years ago. That was my first time to see the buff color in person, although in a different breed, and it piqued my interest.

Lol, I don't know about a show champ, but I do have a few birds that I hope will show well this fall. I have a black cockbird in particular that I think is pretty special, and some promising birds in my other color varieties. Time will tell. I hope to show the black, wheaten, blue wheaten, self blue, white, and buff colors this fall.

How are your birds doing?