Author Topic: Sad day  (Read 4865 times)

DeWayne Edgin

Sad day
« on: June 15, 2017, 10:57:45 PM »
Yesterday was a sad day for me but it was coming eventually. I sold my flock. It was a fun few years learning about the breed and making friends and communicating with others but a lot things happened and I just left go of my flock. There was a few real nice birds that left my house and I will miss talking chicken to all of you but it will be less of a strain on my family and me. Thanks everyone who helped me over the past years learn about the breed and answer my questions.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Re: Sad day
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 07:52:28 AM »
Oh DeWayne...I sure wish you could have kept your chickens, but I understand the demands of family, job, and life.  I'm sure going to miss seeing your posts here and in the FB groups.  Take care and let us know how you're doing.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 04:04:27 PM »
DeWayne, not only a sad day for you, but for the rest of us in the ABC! I have enjoyed your input and responses on the ABC Forum over the years. Though I have never met you personally because of the numerous miles between you and myself, I can feel how close you became to your Ameraucana Flock. Keep us posted on how you are doing. At least you have half a year access on the ABC Forum and I'll anxiously await any posts from you. Did you ever hear any response on how the egg hatching donation went?
Gordon Gilliam

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 04:59:54 PM »
Yes I did Gordan. The teacher said that not many hatched. They were hatching great here but she also told me it was her first time ever trying to hatch eggs. I walked her through the process but I'm not sure what she did wrong. It was a styrofoam incubator so maybe the temperature fluctuated. I use a cool place like my basement and I wouldn't think a classroom would be a good place to incubate but that time of year it was still cool here so I thought it would be ok. It's hard to tell what all toke place there in 21 days though.
I did enjoy everyone talking chicken and just being friends. Who knows, I may get back into Breeding some day.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 06:07:58 PM »
DeWayne, if you do ever get back into it and are looking for some blacks, blues, or splashes...give me a holler.  I would be happy to send you some. :)

This is my last year for wheaten/blue wheatens, though - so I can't help you there.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 08:29:04 PM »
DeWayne, I quit using my styrofoam incubators years ago after switching to GQF Sportsman incubators and hatchers. My hatches with the foam incubators went from dismal to great without any regularity. I did notice that every time the lid was removed to turn eggs most of the hot air escaped and most of the humidity also. I bought egg turners for them and even rigged up clear plastic tubing with a funnel to refill the water channels. That let me keep the lids on during incubation. This helped but still doesn't come close to the hatches that I get with the GQF'S.
Gordon Gilliam

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 08:59:31 AM »
Dewayne,

Sorry to hear that you are quitting Ameraucanas.  I was hoping to be able to meet you at a show someday.  Feel we have a lot in common other than Ameraucana chickens.  Hopefully, you will be able to return to them in the near future.

Special thanks for allowing us to purchase some buff chicks earlier this season.  Hopefully you managed to get the rare ones-buffs, silvers, brown reds into good hands so they can continue production.

Best Wishes,

Paul & Angela
Paul Smith

Kelly Gore

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 08:29:05 PM »
Dewayne, I don't know you but through your posts. I will miss them, you have taught me a lot! I thank you for that. Hopefully, in the future, you can come back. (Fingers crossed) I wish you well.

Kelly

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »
Dewayne,

I'm sad to hear that you are getting out of Ameraucanas. I have enjoyed seeing your posts and pictures of your birds. Best wishes!
Joshua 24:15