Author Topic: New Chicken Transport!  (Read 4436 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
New Chicken Transport!
« on: October 19, 2017, 04:40:20 PM »
Last Saturday, I headed out at 4AM to meet up with my chicken show buddy, John Womack at 4AM.  About 5 miles from the house, I realized I had forgotten my phone, so I took the next exit off I-20 to turn around and grab my phone.  Well, when I got back on I-20, there was a pick up truck in the passing lane next to me doing some swerving and "wiggles", which got my attention.  But, when I looked up, there was this big deer 5' off my hood.  Nothing to do, but pray and I did.

Here are some pics of my car after "meeting" that deer.

All cabin airbags deployed

Left Front

Hood and Right Front

Front Grill and Radiator

I made it back to the house and Barry helped me move everything over to our van and I headed back out to meet John..with my phone, of course.

I was notified yesterday by my insurance company that the car was totaled.  We had already anticipated that, so already had our financing for a new car set up.  Now it was time to do some serious car shopping!

Here is what I brought home this afternoon...all ready to go to the Ohio Nationals in a few weeks!

2016 Ford Transit Connect Wagon Titanium, 21K miles

Interior front:

Of course, I did make it to the Anniston show Saturday, but I wouldn't have made it through the day without help of my friends!  Lindsay Helton...thank you!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:42:15 PM by Susan Mouw »
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: New Chicken Transport!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »
I was sorry to hear of your accident, but glad to hear you did not suffer any severe damage to yourself. As I told you cars can be replaced, not so with great secretary/treasurers. I think you will like your transit connect. I sure like mine, it is only a 2012 XLT with the 2 front seats (the back is all open). I tell people that's my chicken house on wheels. It sure is great to haul Feed and go to shows. The gas mileage is unbelievable.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:54:49 PM by Birdcrazy »
Gordon Gilliam

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 03:01:59 PM »
I love your new ride! It will be perfect for transporting birds to shows! I'm so glad that you are okay. I became worried about you on the morning of the show. I knew that something must have happened when you didn't arrive by a certain time. Happy to have been of help. By the way, did you get your wrist checked? ;)
Joshua 24:15

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »
I love your new ride! It will be perfect for transporting birds to shows! I'm so glad that you are okay. I became worried about you on the morning of the show. I knew that something must have happened when you didn't arrive by a certain time. Happy to have been of help. By the way, did you get your wrist checked? ;)

LOL...how did I know that was coming? ;)  Actually, I sorta did.  Insurance co "suggested" it would be a good idea to get checked out, but by that time (Friday morning), everything mostly felt better and the bruises were all a yellowish-green.  Even the lip was pretty well closed up.  Going back and looking at pictures of that car, I don't know how I came out of it so well...well, yes, I do know. Praise God!  I remember thinking when I saw that deer that he was going to come through the windshield - I'm not sure I would have been in the same shape if that had happened.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:44:29 PM »
Susan glad your OK.
Paul Smith

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:38:09 AM »
This has actually turned out to be a blessing, although that seems weird to say. :)

The Captiva was approaching that mark (65K miles) where some maintenance issue were going to have be taken care of.  Fortunately, we bought it at a good price in Feb 2016, so we ended up with nearly $5K net after the loan was paid off.  We never buy new off the lot - we always try to buy one or two year old vehicles with low mileage.

So, now I have a bigger vehicle for chicken shows and some money in the Show Account, too! LOL...although Barry might disagree with how those funds are earmarked.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »
Susan, just tell Barry the funds are marked "chickenfeed"!
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 05:23:08 PM »
I think his response would be what comes out after the chicken feed is processed.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm