Author Topic: When do they have their final set of feathers?  (Read 2781 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
When do they have their final set of feathers?
« on: August 19, 2006, 02:35:14 PM »
At about what age do cockerels have their final set of feathers?  I have two wheaten cockerels that have some striping in the lower hackles.  They are around five months old and still have white heads.

Could there still be a chance that they will outgrow the striping?  Or is this something that does not change with age?

Also, do cockerels sometimes take longer for their ear lobes to completely turn bright red?  I have a couple that are mixed flesh colored and red, but again they are ony five months old.

Thanks,

Jean
Jean

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 09:29:17 PM »
Hi Jean,
I was waiting for those who actualy breed wheatons to reply, but I see that they may have missed the post, so i will help if I can
We breed silvers, and the are supposed to have striping in their hackle and sadle, but I do find that with age that seems to fade, the younger cockerls are very stripie, by about 5-6 months old you have enough to determine if they will shoe well..but with chickens they shed about 5 times by 6 months old, then most shed their feathers annually, so in reality the never get their \"final\" feathers until they die.
I am prety certain the ideal wheaton has no striping, but also know others have mentiond that it is a hard feat to accomplish, so for breeding I would rcomnd using the ones with the least amount of striping at 5-6 months old.  as they can fade with age, but if it is there, it will remain in the gene pool.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 10:18:45 PM »
You will have to be patient.   Five months is not nearly old enough to judge wheaten cockerels by their plumage when you are just starting out with them.   After you have had them a few years it will be easier to pick them out sooner.
Sometimes the muffs take until 9 or 10 months to fully turn color.   Barb?   What would you say about yours?   Most of my experience has been with the bantams.