Author Topic: Looking for a similar roo to this: (pics)  (Read 3645 times)

Looking for a similar roo to this: (pics)
« on: July 23, 2006, 02:48:08 PM »
Hello, I am very interested in replacing my beloved roo that was \'stolen\' from the yard by some predator :(

I now have a very morose hen, and would like a replacement as smashing and colorful as he was.

Here are pics:

This roo was 4-toed, black skinned, brown-eyed, and quite the gentleman.  The pics were taken between 7-10 months old.

Any ideas what he is?  Do any of you breed Amerucauna/ crosses that resemble him?  I would love to purchase one.  I am in Mineola, Texas (1.5 hrs east of Dallas)

-Jill

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 07:07:42 PM »
Why don\'t you ask on the Poultry Connection?   Your bird was not an Ameraucana so I doubt any of us here can help.  

philipu

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 10:34:10 PM »
Looks like he may have some Jersey Giant in him,
was he around 10 or 11 pounds.
Might try www.poultryconnection.com or try www.feathersite.com and look under Giants...and connect
with on of them and see if he wasn\'t part Jersey Giant.
Good luck. phil

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 10:21:43 AM »
Thank you, Mike and Phil-
     Yes, he was quite a heavy fellow, probably 8 or 9 lbs at 7 months old.  Sorry to bother the Ameraucana Forum about him, but the black skin has some folks I\'ve asked stumped as to breeding.

He was actually a \"packing peanut\" in a shipment to some friends from Ideal Hatchery, and we just didn\'t know if he was one of their \"mistakes\", or if he might be one of those \"rare\" \'extra\' chicks they throw in!

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 03:48:07 PM »
Jill,

There is a gene that causes the skin to be black in chickens it is called fibromelanosis. Silkies have black skin and that is caused by the fibromelanosis gene.

As Phil stated, he looks like a jersey giant but is birchen instead of extended black. He also is heterozygous at the silver locus having a silver and a gold gene. That is why his hackles are yellow.  Jersey giants should have yellow skin.

Jersey giants come in black, blue and white. It is very strange for the bird to be birchen. I do not think you will find another jersey giant like him.  I could breed a bird like him  but I live in Missouri. It would also take about two years to produce a bird like him.

Tim

Anybody interested in chicken genetics? Take a look at the following site

http://home.earthlink.net/~100chickens/id5.html