Author Topic: Marking Chicks and grow outs for various matings.  (Read 4446 times)

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Marking Chicks and grow outs for various matings.
« on: December 16, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »
There have been numerous discussions on using bands, wing bands and toe punches in the past.  There is plenty of options and advice about banding/marking chicks that you can search in the Forum threads.  Those that use toe punches are well aware of the pros and cons to this process.  The 16 web punch limitation can be extended by combining vee-cuts with toe punches if needed too.  The attached link is available on the ABA website for the first 16 markings.  Some Breeders, number the marks left to right and combinations differently.  But it is great if you can use a system consistently year to year. Paul uses this method very effectively, and he uses both web punches and cuts to mark beyond the 16 designations.  (See Paul's description below)

http://www.bantamclub.com/PDF/ToePunchChart.pdf
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:01:56 PM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Marking Chicks and grow outs for various matings.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 06:20:28 PM »
There are many places to purchase bands, wing badges and punches.  National Band carries a pretty good line of accessories for different animals and uses.  Their prices are competitive in my opinion, not sure about shipping.  They have a couple of web punches.  The one listed below is a little bigger, more expensive, but probably easier to use if you have less dexterity in your fingers.  I am not sure if the punch diameter is the same size or if it is as nimble as you might need for bantams.   

https://nationalband.com/products/compound-action-punch-1539/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:57:10 PM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Marking Chicks and grow outs for various matings.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 09:51:38 AM »
  Over 20 years ago I came up with a numbering system to punch the bird’s webs that was easy to remember.  The method was created using the same plan as notches in the hogs ears.  Later I was told about the APA number code for toe punches-which is the same as what I came up with.  Its easy to remember as we read left to right-start with the bird’s left outside web being one, (move to the right) left inside web is two.  Continue moving to the right to the bird’s right inside web being 4, then to the right for the outside web being 8.  The numbers 1, 2, 4 and 8 doubled each time they were moved to the right.  These four numbers are used in combinations to make 1 to 15.  Example:  Both webs on the left foot make three.  Seven is marked by a four (right inside web) and both webs on the left foot.  Fifteen is all four webs.

Several years ago we came up with a plus system due to having more than 15 pens of black, blue, splash.  The plus system uses slits in place of the holes.  A hole is punched then slit open with a single sided razor blade.  This allows an additional fifteen pens.

We experimented with a V system, but did not like it.  It used a V cut into the webs which was difficult to distinguish from the slits from the plus numbers.

A marking system is very important to be able to track a bird’s ancestors, and know how the birds are related to each other.

Once you decide to toe punch your chicks you will need a toe punch.  We have worn out several sets punching at least 30 thousand chicks the past twenty-three years.  We recently purchased one of the new style with a lever on it.  Jan. 8 will be my first time to use it.  When using the old style, make sure the spike is pointed up so you can see that the round hole of the web is completely removed.  If it isn’t completely removed it will grow back and not leave a hole.

If you are hatching in a small incubator that doesn’t have space for sectioning off the different breeding pens, eggs can be tied in a pantyhose just before hatching to keep the chicks separated until they are toe punched.

Paul Smith

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:55:26 AM by Paul »
Paul Smith