Author Topic: Record Keeping  (Read 3507 times)

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Record Keeping
« on: December 30, 2017, 12:00:53 PM »
I am making a list of things that breeders like to keep track of in their flocks. Good record keeping is crucial to make improvements in a breeding program. So far from the feedback received, some of the most important things to keep a record of are Name/ID, DOB, Gender, Color Variety, Egg color (if applicable), Disposition, Strengths, Weaknesses, Pen assignment, and Cockbird assignment (if applicable). Is there anything else that you like to keep record of? Thanks for your participation!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:43:15 PM by Lindsay Helton »
Joshua 24:15

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
Re: Record Keeping
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:15:51 AM »
I am making a list of things that breeders like to keep track of in their flocks. Good record keeping is crucial to make improvements in a breeding program. So far from the feedback received, some of the most important things to keep a record of are Name/ID, DOB, Gender, Color Variety, Egg color (if applicable), Disposition, Strengths, Weaknesses, Pen assignment, and Cockbird assignment (if applicable). Is there anything else that you like to keep record of? Thanks for your participation!

What age a pullet first laid her egg, also the temperament of the breeding male

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Record Keeping
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 07:53:34 AM »
Lindsay and CJ,  It looks like a good start and I am sure that folks will customize it for their own uses. So leaving space for future columns or notes can be useful.  Hard copies are easy to use in the coop areas though sometimes a little messy, and some folks would rather have a printed version instead of always having to go back to the electronics.  Also, I know that it's kind of a Catch 22, where does the record for one bird/hatch start and the next begin.  One set of parameters that seems more and more useful in my mind are the attributes and history of the parents and even grandparents.  And short journal type entries are useful to remind me why a group was placed in a mating. "What were you thinking" is sometimes a learning moment in the evaluation of the seasons grow-outs too.

Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:07:11 AM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9